Discuss Troublesome Customer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

surely value for money`s the order of the day here.....
There are many unscrupulous tradesman out there trying it on with the customer ("Once bitten twice shy!"), as well as many customers trying it on with tradesman.

People are ceasing to trust one another, in an ever increasing "dog eat dog world".

Customers also watch cowboy builder programs which recommend getting detailed quotes for work to protect themselves from dodgy trades.
People are asking for detailed quotes because they are ceasing to have trust in people they employ and are also looking for value in a world where many people are heavily indebted.

Lots of tradesman benefitted from an inflated market influenced by borrowed money.
Now the market has gone into reverse.
Lots of tradesman aren't getting enough work, supply is outstripping demand, customers are seeking value.

Last edited:
A detailed quote is very different to an itemised quote though if you ask me. A clear and concise detailed quote should have all the works detailed that the customer requires - so no extras unless requested. It should leave customer in no doubt of the cost and the works.

Itemised is a bit excessive if you ask me, would make me feel that if they can get some items cheaper they will supply them and then the problems are ahead.

been asked many times, my prices include me my materials my experience and expertise, they are buying a package ! do they ask tesco what they pay for a tin of beans ?

martin

Trust is breaking down in society.
People are becoming more unscrupulous.
They watch their peers misbehave and follow suit.
As life gets quicker, people are becoming more pneurotic and less tolerant.
People cease to have the time to listen anymore, everyones in a rush, chasing money.
This customer sounds like she's pneurotic, penny pinching or over cautious.
Neither of us know what life events influenced her to be that way.
If the electrician doesn't like her terms its simple, walk away.

Last edited:
I didn't realise so many people were against showing unit costs..
My quote looks like this
Kitchen
4 D/S-£200
4 Down lights-£200
Bathroom
4 Downlights £200
etc etc
I do this to save any arguments when variations happen. Im not out to punish my clients for changing their minds, I pride myself on having a very freindly relationship with all clients which generally means once I've done one job for them, most wouldn't consider looking for anyone else.
Note. I have NEVER had to argue with a client about money on invoicing.

As I've said already, I dont breakdown labour/materials although occasionally I'll give unit prices for the option of chrome front plates so

Install Double socket-£50 (white plate included)

Supply Polished chrome double socket (optional)-£15

I have no issue with that Dave 85.

I took it more as being broken down as per material item, such as:

Kitchen:
4 D/S - £5.00
25M 2.5MM T&E - £20
3 Lengths 20MM conduit - £3.60
4 Flush double backboxes - £2.80
etc etc etc

To be honest
When I give a quote I always give a per item breakdown but never labour/materials. The per Item breakdown has won me jobs before even though I've not had the lowest price.
I find if you divide labour and materials they will either say "why's the labour so much" or they'll go out and buy a load of cheap crap from screwfix with bits missing which you have to wait for.

I always give a fair price and never negotiate. The only circumastance in which I'd reduce a price is if it was a nice job with plenty of profit and they showed me a better quote from another contractor.

I often do this too, to supply and fit, break down the price per job, to be honest i think you can charge more this way than just having one big figure at the bottom of your quote!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise so many people were against showing unit costs..
My quote looks like this
Kitchen
4 D/S-£200
4 Down lights-£200
Bathroom
4 Downlights £200
etc etc
I do this to save any arguments when variations happen. Im not out to punish my clients for changing their minds, I pride myself on having a very freindly relationship with all clients which generally means once I've done one job for them, most wouldn't consider looking for anyone else.
Note. I have NEVER had to argue with a client about money on invoicing.

As I've said already, I dont breakdown labour/materials although occasionally I'll give unit prices for the option of chrome front plates so

Install Double socket-£50 (white plate included)

Supply Polished chrome double socket (optional)-£15

With you on this one Dave, every job I price whenever possible is priced this way - simples:smiley2:

Reference OP - would decline from quoting further, suggest they find another contractor and wish them luck with their project :fuk2:

I once asked a client to wait while I found my registered charity number. Then put my hand to my head and said "oh wait, I'm NOT a charity". That made them smile.

I've used that one many times, told quite a few "you may not have noticed but my letterheads don't have a charity number on them"

Always remember one job we tendered for the customer rang up after the tenders had been opened told us we where £200 more than the lowest tender but they wanted us to do the work and would we match the lowest tender they couldn't understand why we declined so we quoted to them what the other company were going to install and that the technology was dated and to match the price we would have to fit the same equipment ISTR it took a couple more calls before they took the hint that we didn't want the job unless they where going to pay our tendered price

Reply to Troublesome Customer in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net