Discuss TT System with no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all here’s my first ever post.

Quick background, I’ve been working for myself since theturn of the year building a portfolio, I have done a few minor works and a weekon Monday I will start a house rewire and wiring extension which I plan to useto be assessed on.

I was asked from someone local to take a look atswapping a single socket to a double (on entrance to kitchen) and also toextend the cable out for three sockets in a boot room as the room was being drylined to hide pipes and the cable would not reach the sockets.

Simple enough, however when I arrived today I checked outthe CU which has combination of 3036 rewireables and a few plug in MCB’s. Asfor the earthing arrangement it’s a TT but no presence of RCD or VOELCB, gasbonding (added when boiler changed I think) but no water bonding, the main earthis 2.5mm not mechanically protected which feeds to an outside wall where it hasbeen joined using a terminal block before connecting up with a cement coveredrod.

So my initial thoughts were I would effectively only bereplacing like for like but I thought this really doesn’tlook good to me, could be a can of worms with a ring pull on top! I thought TT systems should have some form of RCD faultprotection - is that not correct

The client was not around until tomorrow so Ithought leave as was and will speak to them tomorrow to advise they requiremore urgent work doing.

I would let your customer know your findings, did you do a earth loop impedance test at a socket? They are going to require a lot more work, before you can even touch the sockets.

I would let your customer know your findings, did you do a earth loop impedance test at a socket? They are going to require a lot more work, before you can even touch the sockets.
Thanks guys,no didn't take a reading I was tempted to take an ra to see how good the rod was but when the decorator showed me a bare live cable sticking out from a window frame which he had received a shock. I just pulled the fuse for that circuit and said there was nothing I was going to do until I spoke to the client tomorrow. Will Suggest they have a PIR.

Defo the way to go with an eicr first in this case , before you do anything, best to get the assistance of an experienced sparks really to give you the guidance needed ...

Andy my man, my only advice is listen to Engineer54 on this subject, he is the go to rod guy and this subject is his turf!!!

When he says to install a four foot 3/8" rod you do it! He swears by them! Don't worry either about any of this nonsense about type-s RCDs! Eng is always correct when he says that they are a waste of time and money and are hardly ever needed.

;-)

I'm laughing! :D

C'mon man, I'm yankin' yer chain haha, can you not see the lil' winky poo at the bottom of the post?!

Andy if you hadn't guessed, I was joking!

Carry out Ra test, if higher than an ohm then rod it with 2 x coupled 5/8" rods and fit an upfront type-s RCD (in a plastic enclosure) protecting a DB housing either RCDs or ideally RCBOs, double pole ones if your customer has the money.

Hello all here’s my first ever post.

Quick background, I’ve been working for myself since theturn of the year building a portfolio, I have done a few minor works and a weekon Monday I will start a house rewire and wiring extension which I plan to useto be assessed on.

I was asked from someone local to take a look atswapping a single socket to a double (on entrance to kitchen) and also toextend the cable out for three sockets in a boot room as the room was being drylined to hide pipes and the cable would not reach the sockets.

Simple enough, however when I arrived today I checked outthe CU which has combination of 3036 rewireables and a few plug in MCB’s. Asfor the earthing arrangement it’s a TT but no presence of RCD or VOELCB, gasbonding (added when boiler changed I think) but no water bonding, the main earthis 2.5mm not mechanically protected which feeds to an outside wall where it hasbeen joined using a terminal block before connecting up with a cement coveredrod.

So my initial thoughts were I would effectively only bereplacing like for like but I thought this really doesn’tlook good to me, could be a can of worms with a ring pull on top! I thought TT systems should have some form of RCD faultprotection - is that not correct

The client was not around until tomorrow so Ithought leave as was and will speak to them tomorrow to advise they requiremore urgent work doing.
I personally wouldn't do any work in a house which was a TT system and had 3036 fuses and no RCD, I would suggest to the client that a full EICR of the premises is carried out and give them a proper professional fixed price quotation. If they accept your quotation then I suggest you get in there and do a proper inspection and list all the defects. Once this is completed you can then hand them certificates with your findings on and you could also give them a quote for remedial works. There are some guys here who will think I am being a little OTT, however 3036 fuses, lack of rcd protection, lack of water bonding and then after these findings attempts to carry out works without regard to BS7671 is IMO absolutely appalling, I hope you got your Tin hat on, because you may well need it later when everyone roams in after work.

Time to get used to the real world. Few jobs are as "easy" as the client thinks they will be - and if they won't accept the alterations that are necessary to do the work, simply submit a price for the whole job and walk away.

Time to get used to the real world. Few jobs are as "easy" as the client thinks they will be - and if they won't accept the alterations that are necessary to do the work, simply submit a price for the whole job and walk away.
quite right too...
sometimes you just get the `feeling`....dont you....

part of the job....

Looks like a new cu and bonding upgrade at least

Hopefully youll get the work but this may be the point where you submit your quote and you never hear another word, she will be getting the local handyman from rated people to install the points for £80

its been like that for the last 30 years and its worked fine so far! Lol

Reply to TT System with no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net