Discuss Two way light switching using just twin and eath cable... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thats how I would do it, had a similar problem a little while ago after a p[lumber had drilled through our 3core during his first fix and replaced it with twin hoping we would never find out..... Bloody plumbers!!

One day when your boiler is peeing water all over your floor but doing sod all else and your bog is overflowing and **** is cascading down the new stair carpet and your shower doesn't squirt like it used to, you'll be treating the plumber that comes to fix it as if he was God himself!! :sailor:

And YES that 2 way jobie is the way I would have done it as well. (pretty basic stuff really)

Last edited by a moderator:
if not done correctly you can end up with shared neutrals , ensure the neutral is connected to the associated circuit

Yes this is normally associated with 2 way for, landing light, taking an perm of downstairs bridged over off switch, 2 strappers to upstairs light, s/l in common hence shared neutral from upstairs circuit.

Why bother trying why not use say a master lightwave switch with a wireless switch linked to master & you have 2 way switching & no alterations to cabling also you get dimming from both switches, no hassle no mess & probably can charge a premium for fitting the said units. Light wave Rf

Last edited:
Hi johnboy6083
I have a similar installation query - existing cabling 2core+E between the two switches on a stairwell lighting system. Using this cable (rather than running a new 3co+E) results in the layout you describe above. Would this pass Part P ?
thanks
S

Why would the traditional method of two-way switching (as opposed to the "conversion method") not "pass Part P" whatever that even means?

Don't know about "passing part P" (see a urologist?)

If the 2 way is run in 2c&E and insulated and sheathed singles, rather than singles in metallic conduit or trunking, it's not very good for EMC, particularly when cheap LEDs with built in switch mode power supplies are used, but it's probably not a safety issue, unless it knocks out someone's hearing aid or pacemaker.

From BGB
442.4.2.1 The following measures shall be considered, where appropriate, in order to reduce the effect of electromagnetic interference:

444.4.2.1 (iii) The installation of power cables (i.e. line, neutral and any protective earth conductors) close together in order to minimise cable loop areas.

Reply to Two way light switching using just twin and eath cable... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net