Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Underfloor heating mats in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. James Melville

James Melville New EF Member

just want some advise. We have a small annex which has one ring main for the hole place. We want to do an extension and install underfloor heating in each room. Is it possible to wire all four underfloor heating mats into the ring main at different points. Each room is roughly 5x5m2. Only asking this as it’s going to be very difficult to get cable back to the board from each place

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would NOT recommend you have all your sockets and ALL your heating on the same circuit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ashrow

ashrow Regular EF Member

UFH heating mats come in various sizes ie 100watts per meter 200 watts per meter etc etc and generally i would not allow much diversity ie when its cold all UFH mats will be on
    I would never install 4 rooms on an existing ring circuit

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and buy shares in eon or whoever your supplier is. 5 rooms @ 5sq.m. each is about 5kW. that's a fast spinning meter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

In a word James= No.

This would be very unwise, not only will this add additional load to the original Power circuit (may or may not be a ring main) it will make your meter go around like a catherine wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

James

Do have a rethink about this. I have installed a lot of electric underfloor mats. They are expensive to run (see above) but more importantly they may be OK to keep your feet warm - if you are running to the bathroom in your bare feet - BUT they are not an effective way to space heat a whole room.
    What other energy options do you have in the house? How is the rest of the house heated?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1