Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Understandable attitude? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

I was talking to a guy recently who had had a terraced house left to him by a relative ( lucky bloke!) He had renovated most of it himself, and was one of the 'it's my house, I'll do what I want with it' brigade. He said he had to get a proffesional plasterer in, as it was one thing he couldn't do, but had done plumbing and electrics himself. He said that he had got estimates for rewiring, but simply couldn't afford it. So he bought a copy of the 17th edition, and did it himself. The old wiring was lead sheathed, and from what he said he'd done a good job. My point is, as he said, the wiring is far safer than it was, which can't be argued with. Is it a fair, if not legal attitude? Bear in mind that from what he said the wiring is physically correct, just the paperwork isn't!

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Unless this "mate" bought himself a MFT and knows how to use it, who is to say its "physically correct"?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

He says it is correct, but the ignorance of an incompetent is what makes them incompetent.
    Only verification and testing can prove safety.
    It very much can be argued against that the wiring is safer than it was, as there is no proof of safety, only the word of a diyer. I would much rather use a competently and professionally installed system of any age than a recent diy job.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

It works doesn't it?

I could do my own Gas Boiler no problem. But I love my family and don't want to put them at risk from my diy works.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

What a clever DIY to$$er....and I'll bet he picked up that copy of the 17th cheap, probably on eBay.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Murdoch

TBH - when I visit types like this, they get a high price ............ so I don't have to do the work.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

So if the guy now gets a pro in to do an EICR, and it passes?
    Doesn't sound like the kind of person to BUY a 17th ed book. Maybe was just the OSG? or maybe just said that he did?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

What gets me is the fact that he gets a property for SFA and then can't be bothered to do things properly, by the book.
    Was he in debt up to his brain box? Dipstick!
    Hope he fries...or his house, at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I got this from one of my dad's neighbours. He asked me for a quote to do some outside sockets and pond supplies. Couple of hundred quid. Ummed and ahhed, nah I'll do it myself. The current setup was a right lash up of twisted and taped joints across his workbench.

His son did the same as in the OP. Bragging to me one day about how easy it is and how he bought the regs and rewired his own house. "You don't need to do all that testing, it's just to make sparkies look clever all that rubbish. My mate told me and he helped me do it"
    I bit my tongue til it was nearly off.

Now both father and son are not stupid people and not poor people, in fact both very well off. Just stubborn, tight arsed, know it alls. The type that will spend all weekend servicing their car and brag all year about how, after parts, it cost £40 less than a service at the garage.
    You're never going to change this breed of person, just as in the OP.

Someone who has DIY rewired their entire house will not entertain any notion of things being incorrect in any way as they don't want to know. The facts remain however, in this case, that competence cannot be proved and neither can the safety of the installation nor compliance with any standards. To say that this must be safer that it was is an absolute nonsense in the absence of these proofs.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Percyprod

Lovely attitudes. Hope he fries? For f*** sake and you're criticising him? He ordered and bought the regs from Waterstones, up until then he lived in a grotty rented flat and had been burgled twice. He works hard, but is on fairly low wages. He simply can't afford to pay in thousands what he did himself in hundreds. When I say physically correct I mean the right cables, fittings protection etc. A system wired god knows when in lead sheathed cable is safer than a modern system? Are you having a laugh? In actual fact he is paying for it to be tested, that's all he can afford. Most of the little savings he had went on the boiler / fire installation. There really are some nice people on here, aren't there?

• Dumb x 4
    • Dislike x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Agree x 1
  11. Percyprod

I cannot understand this attitude that a diyer can't do a safe or good job. I suppose that as qualified electricians charging what you do you can always afford a professional to do any work needed on your house, car etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

How do you know and how does he know these things are correct with such certainty ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Will his house be insured though if it catches fire? and unless he has tested the installation and certified it it may not be right and may not be acceptable to his insurance company. Does he know someone who will say they did the work and issue the correct paperwork? if so no probs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Alright Grandad keep your pants on lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Murdoch

Unless they have training, experience, test kit etc, how can you say that he can do a "safe" job?

• Agree Agree x 8