Discuss Unfinished / not started jobs at home in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score

What jobs at home have you started and not finished or haven't yet started... Despite nagging!!

• I've got an unfinished half a ring main (not connected... before you ask).
  • Alarm System, need bell boxes connected.... (The Dual Com IS CONNECTED and connected to the ARC)
  • Outside socket not yet installed.... Mrs doesn't want "that trunking" (it's actually conduit), So I tried to get the cable / rod through the roof void in the single story extension.. It's got a new ceiling battened over the original ceiling so is near impossible.... Hours... I have spent hours trying to get rods in there!!!
  • Side is still off the bath, where the taps leaked... Some spoon tiled the compete side of the bath not leaving any access, which resulted in a bit of a mess getting the side off!

That's about it... that I can think of... I'm sure the MRS could add to it!!

I also have another house I'm currently doing up (plastering) so that is my excuse for not doing any of the jobs at home.

Only just finished my bathroom. I had to take off the old 1930's plaster, dot and dab new plaster boards on, new lowered ceiling, rewired, new plumbing, spar bath, new shower, new wall lighten cabinet, big heavy glass shower screen (that was fun fitting it) and whilst I was at it I change over my 3036 cu to a ten way split and put each circuit in the bathroom on on its own mcb. Next thing to do is put a new door on but I'm changing all the doors throughout the house and there a bit pricey so it will have to wait. Yesterday I fitted an outside tap for the hose pipe (do I have to inform lba? ;)) and today I'm doing nothing apart from having a few beers in the garden, I might water the plants with my new tap.
IMAG0122.jpg
IMAG0123.jpg
IMAG0124.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg
I also put in a new radiator, tinted mirror and of course tiled it all. As you might tell I'm quite pleased with myself, looks good doesn't it.

Last edited:
The ensuite is still out of action. Done all of the underfloor heating, tiling and first fix plumbing, just needs to be painted and the sink and toilet plumbed in (when I get around to it :)).

I rent my place and my landlord seems to prefer everything to be bodged rather than done properly:

The front door was falling apart and a new one would be too expensive, so I stripped off the old 10 licks of paint, filled in the cracks, sanded it down and slapped an undercoat on. Just need to sand it down and put the top coat on.

Silicone around the bath started coming away so I started stripping all that off. Need to fill the big gaps with expanding foam, strip the paint off the tiles, reseal the bath with white silicone and repaint, yes paint, the tiles.

The ceiling has about 4 different textures in different parts of it. Started smoothing over the various types of textured paper and artex with Polycell smoothover for textured ceilings. Need to finish that off.

I'd like to be able to change the rusty old BS3036 cu, but the kitchen was built around it so I reckon I'd have a job getting the old one out.

Maybe I should just move.

I have the kitchen to finish tiling and a couple of outside lights to pop on top of the posts when I have re set the rubbish job the builder did on the wall a few years ago

I have the kitchen to finish tiling and a couple of outside lights to pop on top of the posts when I have re set the rubbish job the builder did on the wall a few years ago
Well I can do the tilling for you Phil, but at least get a qualified part p compliant sparky round to do the outside lights :):):):):):) I'm going to get some stick for that one arnt i?

Well I can do the tilling for you Phil, but at least get a qualified part p compliant sparky round to do the outside lights :):):):):):) I'm going to get some stick for that one arnt i?

:ban:
I am going to collect all the dogs recycled food and drop it off in your front garden :D

:ban:I am going to collect all the dogs recycled food and drop it off in your front garden :D
:****: :****: :****: :****: :****: that's a lot of :****: .don't forget I know where you live Phil, used cat litter on your front lawn wouldn't go down to well with your kids! Besides my wife has just seen me type this and you will have to deal with her if you throw dog poo poo in her garden, god help ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
PPhil I've just remembered what you posted through my door last month! a bloody big branch from a tree! I'll get my own back and post up pictures, I've already got something in mind ;)

PPhil I've just remembered what you posted through my door last month! a bloody big branch from a tree! I'll get my own back and post up pictures, I've already got something in mind ;)

Mr M I really would advise strongly against posting that picture !! :D now get on with those unfinished jobs :D

Only just finished my bathroom. I had to take off the old 1930's plaster, dot and dab new plaster boards on, new lowered ceiling, rewired, new plumbing, spar bath, new shower, new wall lighten cabinet, big heavy glass shower screen (that was fun fitting it) and whilst I was at it I change over my 3036 cu to a ten way split and put each circuit in the bathroom on on its own mcb. Next thing to do is put a new door on but I'm changing all the doors throughout the house and there a bit pricey so it will have to wait. Yesterday I fitted an outside tap for the hose pipe (do I have to inform lba? ;)) and today I'm doing nothing apart from having a few beers in the garden, I might water the plants with my new tap.
IMAG0122.jpg
IMAG0123.jpg
IMAG0124.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg
I also put in a new radiator, tinted mirror and of course tiled it all. As you might tell I'm quite pleased with myself, looks good doesn't it.

can you come and finish my bathroom off??? Only joking finished ensuite and living room last year so I could go snowboarding. Booked up for snowboarding next year and she wants kitchen doing which I am part way through by Blackmail. My snowboarding holidays tend to cost me £1000s after I have being blackmailed to do the home improvements she insists on before I can go.....

haveing moved house 6 weeks ago It was in "Move in condition" just a lot of small things that previous owner had done but not quiet right
1 internal doors look good but some of the checks are a bit tight and prevent door closing properly
2 kitchen sink had to redo the waste it worked but wasnt very neat n made the cupboard unuseable
3 no wardrobe in bedroo,m Got local firm in to price and do work now lookin realy great Iv just got to fit switch to lights fitted in unit
4 garden shed base req to move 8X12 shed
5 remove red chips prepare ground for turf ( altho im waiting to see how my mums looks after she gets her Astroturf )
6 once big sheds moved straighten up driveway n sort gates /hinges ect
7 errect 4 or 5 ft fence between us and the neighbour with 6 kids
8 move my girls pink castle ( 6ft diametre 6ft heigh with flags on the roof)
9 fort out my computer desk under stairs
10 fit new c.u. ( 3 no 3036 fuse boards )
11 fit outside lights back n front ( front 2 no 70w sons on timeclock/photocell) ( back 2 70sonw on switch) all mounted at eve height
12 sort out small shed to new place and shelf it for wifes n weans stuff
13 shelf n sort out big shed got friends old kitchen units
14 sort out nursery room for new baby ( MUST DO this first needs completed by november)
15 her ladyship keeps ading and adding to list so god knows
Jobs completes
1 singles to doubles
2 new toilet seats ( ones with "Family" friendly seats
3 ripped out wandering crud planting and planted up nice plants
4 built bbq area
5 strip down olw 6X3 shed for it to go to wifes work
6 install bookcases
7 fit tv to wall in room
8 shelf and sort out weans room
9 sort out telly down stairs
10 remove cupbord in kitchen wire n fit spur for dish washer
11 remove loads of stuff from garden n tidy it up a bit
here endeth the list FOR NOW lol

Nice job Paul, its a credit to you. I have just had my bathroom done, but i called in a very big favour i was owed by a mate who's house i rewired for mates rates last year. I supplied everything and he fitted it all, tiled it etc etc blah blah blah, i did sod all, and it looks tops, thats not implying your does'nt. Well i did the ceiling, lighting and fan. Did i do a cert? was it notified?..answers on a postcard please:biggrinjester:

Cheers..........Howard

IMAG0122.jpg
IMAG0123.jpg
IMAG0124.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg

is that molton brown soap you have there..

Reply to Unfinished / not started jobs at home in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net