Discuss Unknown issue: Dimmer / circuit / bulb compatibility? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello! And thanks in advance.

Just done full refurb and around my home I have 8 circuits that consist of:
• Varilight V-Pro dimmer switches (two different loads types)
• Dimmable versions of these bulbs: 12 Watt - E27 LED Standard Shape Bulb from LED Hut - https://www.ledhut.co.uk/12-watt-edison-screw-standard-shape-bulb-75-watt-replacement.html
• In these fittings, with holes drilled int he side for wires from ducting to get in: Astro Lighting 7024 Sabina IP44 Bathroom Ceiling Light - https://www.dusklights.co.uk/astro-sabina-ip44-bathroom-ceiling-light-p966

I have issues with two of the circuits:
Circuit 1:
• Two bulbs have ceased functioning in a matter of days in one of the four fixtures
• On sporadic occasions, turning the lights on causes a "wee woo wee woo" on/off dimming to occur for 2-3 cycles before it working
• My builder insisted it was a faulty dimmer. It was replaced, and the effect described above just happened again.

Circuit 2:
• Multiple bulbs, in particularly one but also a second of four fittings have broken.
• Very clear flickering effect for a few seconds every time it is turned on. Again one fitting seems a bit more troublesome to the bulbs.

My builder insists that as both appear to work when the dimmer is taken out, it is a dimmer compatibility issue. (There hasn't been an extended test without the dimmer to see if bulbs still blow, but other effects do appear to stop.) My view is, 8/10 circuits are working fine, and changing the dimmer hasn't fixed the problem on one of the dodgy circuits. Could I be unlucky enough to have put in two faulty dimmers...? I'm also led to believe the bulbs and dimmers are compatible.

What do you guys think? Could it be something in the set up of the circuitry is causing the failure of dimmers and/or bulbs? Is it more likely a case of bad luck with dimmers, or are there known compatibility issues here?

Thanks!

This builder that did the building work, did he employ an Electrician, or did his blokes do the work? others have mentioned, you nee to get an electrician involved, you have said you have no electrical experience, and by the sounds of it neither does your builder, do yourself a favour get a spark involved, far too many "Builders think they can do it all"

I've found the Varilight to be a pretty good dimmer option for LED's. LED Hut on the other hand seem to ship out some absolute garbage. I'd recommend getting some decent branded lamps for the fittings (Crompton, Enlite etc)

The V-Pro dimmers include a soft start function to extend the life of the electronics. It's possible the flickering you're experiencing is a result of a slight incompatibility between the bulbs and the current mode of operation of the dimmers.

As far as I know, the V-Pro comes configured as standard to use leading edge dimming. You could try changing to trailing edge dimming... you will need to read the instructions for the dimmers on how to get into configuration mode and how to set them up.

Reply to Unknown issue: Dimmer / circuit / bulb compatibility? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net