Discuss unprotected cable on outside wall, legal ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

fourtytwo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have just moved house and inherited a lot of problems......
One of them is this run of 2.5mm along an outside wall past some dustbins & under a doorstep only four brick courses above ground level. It feeds a whole host of double sockets in the garage and is fed by its own 16A MCB in the main fusebox.

I would have thought this cable should have some sort of protection or be armoured, am I right ?
P1170358.JPG
P1170359.JPG

It’s not ideal but as long as it’s not in direct sunlight it will probably be good for 30 years.

That’s a DIY bodge up.

The cable should have mechanical protection. It could be pvc conduit, armoured cable or other.
Especially if it’s getting banged by the wheely bins..

The PVC sheath can also degrade due to UV from sunlight.

That’s a DIY bodge up.

The cable should have mechanical protection. It could be pvc conduit, armoured cable or other.
Especially if it’s getting banged by the wheely bins..

The PVC sheath can also degrade due to UV from sunlight.
That was my feeling, I was an apprentice spark wayyyyy back in 197x and we would never consider anything like that! Its right next to a door and highly likely to get bashed etc especially at that level, even with garden tools * a wheelbarrow. I assume and hope this would not pass an EICR or part P inspection ?

It faces west so gets lots of afternoon sun.

Bought or rented?

It’s buyer beware when houses are sold… but rented should have an EICR done.
Might just bring up a C3

Bought and I live there, just want to put things right. Buyer beware indeed but some people are more dishonest than others............
Sounds like some plastic trunking where possible in the areas most likely damaged would be appropriate, many thanks all.

Is the other wire a green/yellow earth? Some mini trunking with both wires inside would make things a lot tidier and safer.

Is the other wire a green/yellow earth? Some mini trunking with both wires inside would make things a lot tidier and safer.
Hi Brian, yes it is, fusebox to gas main earth. I agree, I certainly don't like it as it is ATM so it's on the list to be done.

Reply to unprotected cable on outside wall, legal ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net