Discuss Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im not sure what you think everyone's lying about as i haven't read the thread, and even though im tempted to - its 5pages long and if i stay slutting this forum for any longer on Christmas Day then the family will probably go abit mental so best not haha.

Happy Christmas buddy all the best

Its an eye opener this thread. Never had one blow & only know of one that did, & that was cos another sparky did something very silly!

- - - Updated - - -

But also heard they can get knackered. Although on the other hand a 60amp 1361 will take 200 Amps for a few minutes.....

All I can think it has something to do with the while system load at the time. I've seen it on commercial systems and when the fuse it replaced a breaker has just tripped when the fault reoccurred

few monts ago i was called out to a well known convenience store. 3 phase supply, almost half the shop was out due to a blown 100A on the red phase. got DNO out within an hour. he replaced the complete cut-out and the red tail to the meter as that showed signs of overheating, although the loads was well under the 100A mark. could have beed a high resistance connection at the fuse. and the 3 phases were reasonably balanced.

I had a 60 amp DNO fuse that had blown last year.

There was a dead short on the shower Iso (10mm cable, 30 amp rewireable at board) the cable from the iso to the shower had a nail whacked through it when boarding the loft. The nail was rather short afterwards! The only damage was a scorch mark around the nail on the cable and the DNO fuse blew, the 3036 was still in tact. Replaced the short run of cable to the shower and the DNO stuck another fuse in.

which is yet another nail in the coffin of the dreaded 3036 fuse. not only do they sometimes not blow when required, but the arrangement is open to fitting unsuitable wire in the fuse holder.

which is yet another nail in the coffin of the dreaded 3036 fuse. not only do they sometimes not blow when required, but the arrangement is open to fitting unsuitable wire in the fuse holder.

the fact that rewireables de-rate the cable by nearly 30% is equally a big a pain.

I had a 60A DNO fuse blow feeding a storage heater beard which was drawing 83A (according to the engineer who replaced the 60A), and he said it is common for slightly overloaded 60A's like this to work happily for a few years then eventually give out, so it is quite possible that adding fairy lights pushed a 'worn' fuse over the edge.

I had a 60A DNO fuse blow feeding a storage heater beard which was drawing 83A (according to the engineer who replaced the 60A), and he said it is common for slightly overloaded 60A's like this to work happily for a few years then eventually give out, so it is quite possible that adding fairy lights pushed a 'worn' fuse over the edge.

Would this work as a defence when Mrs Robo asks me to put the lights up next year? :D

If your ever in this situation with a main cut out fuse and the dno can't make it out for hours/days at Christmas etc say there's a baby in the house and they get someone there quick enough

just scrollin through some of this....
seen some beautys n all....such as
someone goin on about pullin bullits under load.
quick fixes with 30A fuse wire in parallel (2)
just thought i`d mention that the service head is DNO property.....so get them to come and sort it...
at least someone bothered to ask the obvious: why did the bullit operate in the first place?....
i think someones been buggerin about with that cutout myself......

how many home owners are there in the UK with 3036 rewireables, that wouldn't know a EICR if it jumped up and bit them in the arse? ( the home owners, that is, not the fuses )

just scrollin through some of this....
seen some beautys n all....such as
someone goin on about pullin bullits under load.
quick fixes with 30A fuse wire in parallel (2)
just thought i`d mention that the service head is DNO property.....so get them to come and sort it...
at least someone bothered to ask the obvious: why did the bullit operate in the first place?....
i think someones been buggerin about with that cutout myself......

If you read it I think you'll see the fuse was blown when I arrived and it was because there was a extension lead outside full off water!!!!!

There only 2 reasons for pulling that fuse. 1 for isolation 2 because the customer has no power and the rest of the road has so I think it should be removed to check.

Or should I just walk away and tell them to call the dno.

I can't believe some of the crap you guys post.

I turned to you lot to ask for some help at 11 o'clock on a Sunday night realised they'd blown the main fuse. I didn't have a 60a, only a 100a.

Something that could have been sorted fairly swiftly.

I though u lot might be the type to help a fellow spark.

Maybe not

Anyway happy customer (with my service) lesson learned by them.

All back and running by 8:30am

Reply to Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net