Discuss van insurance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

thats the thing most accidents have nothing to do with mobile phones, mobiles are more likely to be involved in little crashes in stop/start traffic than anything else.

on a dual carriageway/motorway at 3am being on the phone wont matter as it is unlikely there will be many people around and nothing will jump out in front of you either.

there was hardly any traffic when i drove down from glasgow and i didnt exactly leave early (10am)
Thats why there are so many roads closed due to accidents on motorways that have happened in the small hours then is it? There is no grey area here, both legally and practically, it's just an irresponsible activity, end of. Nobody is that much of a rush that they cannot pull over and ring somebody back.

thats the thing most accidents have nothing to do with mobile phones, mobiles are more likely to be involved in little crashes in stop/start traffic than anything else.

on a dual carriageway/motorway at 3am being on the phone wont matter as it is unlikely there will be many people around and nothing will jump out in front of you either.

there was hardly any traffic when i drove down from glasgow and i didnt exactly leave early (10am)
I refer you to my post at #18. And if someone rang me at 3am, it would be a very short conversation, so unlikely to cause an accident.

Last edited:
Thats why there are so many roads closed due to accidents on motorways that have happened in the small hours then is it? There is no grey area here, both legally and practically, it's just an irresponsible activity, end of. Nobody is that much of a rush that they cannot pull over and ring somebody back.
more likely people falling asleep at the wheel, i agree its against the law.

im just saying its not always dangerous but like everything there is a time and a place.

more likely people falling asleep at the wheel, i agree its against the law.

im just saying its not always dangerous but like everything there is a time and a place.
No, its ALWAYS dangerous. The time and place for using a hand held mobile phone IS NOT while you are driving, anywhere, anytime. As you say it is against the law, why do you think that might be? I refer to my original statement, anyone doing so is a prat, as well as for the legal side but for the hike in insurance costs that they will quite rightly incur, hence the origin of this post.

Last edited:
I'll NEVER use a mobile while driving, hands free or otherwise. It's just much easier when stopped safely to ring back and if it's an enquiry about work how can you take down details etc when driving anyway ? Seen too many idiotic manouvres by drivers with phones glued to their ears - often tradesmen unfortunately.

Next time your talking to someone on your mobile, try and concentrate on someone else talking within the same room or space. Guarantee you will not be able to absorb both conversations. How many times have you asked someone to wait, when talking to someone else on your phone. Using a mobile phone, even using hands free (I use one), affects your ability to drive.

In the same way that changing the radio station, looking at some skirt, eating/drinking, looking for road signs/shops, concentrating on idiotic cyclists/drivers, talking to someone in passenger seat/back, arguing with the missus, having a child in the car etc etc. everything affects your concentration, just not dangerously, unless you let it. Hands free phone calls are no different to what I've mentioned in this post.

I spend a lot of time on my hands free, I receive and need to make too many phone calls not to, I couldn't stop to make them I'd lose hours in a day! Of course it can be done safely, I've been doing it for 14 years without any issues, some people have different levels of concentration, some struggle to use a mobile phone sat on there ar5e! I can use it no problem whilst driving and still have a coffee and doughnut.........

In the same way that changing the radio station, looking at some skirt, eating/drinking, looking for road signs/shops, concentrating on idiotic cyclists/drivers, talking to someone in passenger seat/back, arguing with the missus, having a child in the car etc etc. everything affects your concentration, just not dangerously, unless you let it. Hands free phone calls are no different to what I've mentioned in this post.
It is true what you say, that all those examples you have given, can affect your reaction to your surroundings whilst driving. However, operating in car controls, looking for road signs, concentrating on idiotic cyclists/drivers are a necessary function of driving (apart form operating the radio!).

Arguably, using your mobile or hands free device is not. Even conversations between you & passenger or listening to the radio, are not as distracting as using a mobile (IMO).

I'm not a scientist, but I believe it's the way a mobile operates. Two people cannot speak at the same time on a mobile, one has to wait for the other to finish (unlike normal conversation), try it yourself. Also try having that conversation on your mobile, and listening to someone else's.

There has been some research conducted into this matter. I link one here from as early as 2002;

http://www.mthr.org.uk/research_projects/documents/Rum5FinalReport.pdf

Their conclusion was 'Driving performance clearly suffers when the driver is performing simultaneous tasks. The results for reaction times suggest that talking on hands free is more distracting than talking to a passenger or other in-vehicle tasks'.

Truth is, you don't need to use a mobile phone to operate a car.

I spend a lot of time on my hands free, I receive and need to make too many phone calls not to, I couldn't stop to make them I'd lose hours in a day! Of course it can be done safely, I've been doing it for 14 years without any issues, some people have different levels of concentration, some struggle to use a mobile phone sat on there ar5e! I can use it no problem whilst driving and still have a coffee and doughnut.........

Some people also struggle to drink a coffee or eat a doughnut whilst they're driving!

Driving a car, we take as second nature because we are so well trained, well most are. Think back to when you first drove, would you try to drink, eat or use a mobile then?

Using a motor vehicle on the road, is a potentially dangerous profession. Give it the time & respect it deserves.

I see this post started as van insurance, and the side-tracked to using mobile phones whilst driving. Hope with those recent serious accidents involving drivers using mobile phones, acts as a salutary message.

Get sick of people on phones while they're driving. You can see them slowing down a bit, speeding up a bit, wandering across to the white line and back. Drive past them and guess what - they're on the bloody phone. They don't even realise it's affecting their driving! See it regular up and down the A1. Daz

Reply to van insurance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net