Discuss Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lol sorry people! I've not abandoned you honest! Just getting as much info as pos. If you've not seen yet then I'll enlighten you.

Today I found 25v on the metal studwork in 2 seperate places oon the 1st floor. Appeared to be directly energized by the lighting circuit. However once the lighting circuit was completely removed the other circuits combined brought back 7v. Af least now I have metal to test to instead of water! To experiment I put a bond to the metal work in one room which removed the 7v however it remained in another room. So this does explain why problem is upstairs only as the 2 floors are not connected with metal stud. Hunting on...

so let me get this straight.....

we have random voltages to metalwork and pipework throughtout the building. Bonding some bits doesn't affect other bits and it all depends on the load on multiple circuits?

Do I recall right this is a PME system?

Have we really ruled out the MET floating relative to the true mass of the eath?
Was it ever tested against a earth spike (not connected to anything else) with load on all the circuits? I got the impression it was but was confused what the results were........

It was implied that the DNO had done such a test but I did re-ask the question and so far no explicit answers have been given. I was trying to rule it out but agree that we can't yet do so. However we do have numerical answers for insulation resistance that include some strange failures.

Reply to Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. Sort of an interesting one. I had a call from a client to say she is getting a shock when using the shower. I told her not to use it and...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are renting and have a electric shower downstairs (extension) - a 9.5kW Triton T80Z fast-fit electric shower as well as a combi boiler...
Replies
Views
90s house electric issues continues 🥲 So after getting some good advice here I've managed to sort out some of the heating issues so thank you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
8.5K shower unit is wired to plastic box consumer unit to 30 amp cartridge fuse with no RCD It’s the original shower installed when the house was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock