Discuss Voltage tester with LCD and spring loaded sheaths in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My cheap and cheerful voltage tester packed up just before Christmas, so need to replace it (It lasted longer than the more expensive one I had before that broke at the cable joint to the second probe).

As we know, GS38 tips can be a pain, so I normally keep them off so that I can actually test into choc blocks, etc.

Naturally this means I immediately lose them, so have to buy replacements for my annual assessment....

I wanted one with spring loaded or retractable sheaths, and I'm sure I've seen some online before, but none of the ones that fit my needs seem to have them - they all just have removeable rubber sheaths.

The only one I can find that does is the bulky Martindale voltage indicator, but I want the LCD option to show the actual voltage, and continuity is always handy (are there any that actually show the reading rather than a yes/no?)

I have the basic TIS LED one for now (ÂŁ20 and seems good value), but happy to invest a bit if there's a good one out there. But since the one I bought for about ÂŁ30 online lasted for 3 years I'm loathed to pay ÂŁ80+ for a "name" version of the same unless I'm getting something extra...

Already sorted with 2 Megger MFTs, so this is more for the easy carrying around diagnosis stuff or identifying voltage L-N, L-E, etc.

Any recommendations?

My cheap and cheerful voltage tester packed up just before Christmas, so need to replace it (It lasted longer than the more expensive one I had before that broke at the cable joint to the second probe).

As we know, GS38 tips can be a pain, so I normally keep them off so that I can actually test into choc blocks, etc.

Naturally this means I immediately lose them, so have to buy replacements for my annual assessment....

I wanted one with spring loaded or retractable sheaths, and I'm sure I've seen some online before, but none of the ones that fit my needs seem to have them - they all just have removeable rubber sheaths.

The only one I can find that does is the bulky Martindale voltage indicator, but I want the LCD option to show the actual voltage, and continuity is always handy (are there any that actually show the reading rather than a yes/no?)

I have the basic TIS LED one for now (ÂŁ20 and seems good value), but happy to invest a bit if there's a good one out there. But since the one I bought for about ÂŁ30 online lasted for 3 years I'm loathed to pay ÂŁ80+ for a "name" version of the same unless I'm getting something extra...

Already sorted with 2 Megger MFTs, so this is more for the easy carrying around diagnosis stuff or identifying voltage L-N, L-E, etc.

Any recommendations?
Drummond test lamps are what I use you can google "John Drummond test lamps" Electricity boards use them or they used to

Drummond test lamps are good I have been using them for years, they got bought out a while ago by one of the larger makers. The latest model has very slim tips which get into most places. They now have leds which show the voltage level and change colour at 400v, they also have the facility to kill phantom voltages. google Drummond MTL20B.
I know you are talking about two pole testers but I recently found Fluke TL175 test leads for my mutimeter, you just twist the tips to retract the insulation for general use, no more fiddely bits to lose.

I bought the Kewtech KT1790, it has the LCD screen and built in GS38 narrow tips, it’s not spring loaded but still no tips to loose.

What I also like is that if the batteries are dead, the whole main row of voltage indicator lights still illuminate for proving dead; whereas some other brands only illuminate one small LED.

Link to KT1790 data

It can be bought online for around ÂŁ50-ish

3823AA1B-1C2E-4F29-A370-ABED107059F1.jpeg

Last edited:
The Fluke T150 tester does not have spring loaded tip covers, but does have built in storage facility on the cable, between the two units, works very well.

Fluke T150 has this sheath that holds the 4 tips, and of course the prong that opens the shutter on the earth socket. So far, I haven't lost any tips...

The Fluke T150 is a very capable instrument, but why did Fluke make the dedicated bag for it so small you have to fight to get it in, so annoying for something so capable, and then there is the case to the Testo multimeter that the instructions don't fit inside why do manufacturers do this, it can't be just for cash saving, it must be that the designers are not users.

Good point Mike...I didn't buy the dedicated bag because it was small and expensive. instead, i use the soft bag that came with a Samsung laptop, which is big enough and wraps around for extra protection.

The Fluke T150 tester does not have spring loaded tip covers, but does have built in storage facility on the cable, between the two units, works very well.

All Fluke 2 pole testers have that and it grips the GS38 covers well enough that it can be used to remove them, as well as storing them.

Fluke storage bag can place a fair bit of pressure on strain reliefs - their holster is probably a better option.

I've got an Edison EET01 and a UNI-T jobbie (jobbie isn't the model, I can't find it at the moment to check which one). I prefer the Edison but again no where to stick the little covers.

I have the VT28, but much prefer the more basic Fluke T110.
The VT28 is one of the ones I was looking at, but appears to be identical (apart from colour) to the Metrel MD1160 - not sure if they are part of the same company, or are just both buying some 3rd party part and branding it themselves.

The Fluke T150 is looking like a good possible option as it supposedly shows a resistance measurement as well as just the buzzer. Though it annoys me when they don't include a case with the package.

The Fluke T150 is a very capable instrument, but why did Fluke make the dedicated bag for it so small you have to fight to get it in, so annoying for something so capable, and then there is the case to the Testo multimeter that the instructions don't fit inside why do manufacturers do this, it can't be just for cash saving, it must be that the designers are not users.
T150 is currently top of my list, so good to know it's not worth paying them extra for the bag.

I've got an Edison EET01 and a UNI-T jobbie (jobbie isn't the model, I can't find it at the moment to check which one). I prefer the Edison but again no where to stick the little covers.
I think my current one that has just died is a rebrand of the Edison, seems like they are sold under several brand names. It did me well for about 5 years and cost well under ÂŁ50 at the time, so I can't complain I guess.

Any one who uses a Fluke T5 or T6? Wondering whether one of those in addition to a basic voltage indicator may be a better purchase

Reply to Voltage tester with LCD and spring loaded sheaths in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net