Discuss Wages getting cut!, what can i do anything ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maestro

A mate called today to see where i was working and if anything was going he has been working price work for about 7 years now but he is no house basher he a really good spark but just sees houses as a way to make good money and get early finishes he has worked fir the same company for the last 3 years for the last 3 months he was only getting £120 day as part of 2 man team(£240 a team) doing upgrades on 1 bedroom flats which are fully conduited not great money but he could live with because they were finishing before lunch but on Monday they just cut the money to £120 per team saying there no money in the contract he work for Enterprise I dont who it was before enterprise bought over them

Quick statement

was earning £120 a day for 3 months then money got dropped to 60 a day without a break in the contract

I'm asumming he's a subbie, therefore can either walk away and try his luck elsewhere or stay on and do 2 jobs in 1 day to make the money up. Unfortunately thats the life as a subbie. Where is he based?

after reading the thread title can you confirm what you want us to say? Because when I read the post the two didn't seem compatible, confused here? sorry

no he is not a subbie, full time books in for the last 3 years with them, t-shirts, jumpers the lot but i dont think the company are SJIB but they do carry a lot of sparks all books in i would say up words of 30 sparks plus probably the same amount of plumbers and joiniers they only d domestic mostly work for coucils rewires,kitchens central heating etc.

sorry if its confusing, basically my mate was earning £120 a day on price work then out of the blue they have cut it to £60 i was wondering of he has any rights etc- been books in with the firm for the last 3 years

If he's on the cards and signed a contract stating what his working times and wages would be then I would suspect he has some rights but I couldn't tell you what they were. As mentioned above his best course of action would be to consult a union (if he's in one) or visit the CAB and see what they come back with.

sounds like they want rid of him
if he is finishing before lunch they wont like that, he needs to work harder or go to the council and put in a price under his boss and do the work hiself

- - - Updated - - -

btw i reckon its you ,not a mate

Price work introduction was the beginning of the end for real craftsmanship in this country. Everything to a price and nothing to spec. I remember working for Monks in the early 90's in Teesside and it was just horrendous.

Don't quite understand the 'cards in' yet price work bit,contract of employment must be flexible for the continued accepted half days too.Bit harsh if you have got used to it but if company is tendering against outfits whos employees are working full days,it was always gonner happen.Lots of trains pulling short of a station now...Missus works in the finance industry and have met lots of people who had 80/120k salaries who have been finished and cannot find anything similar.Those big earners have big outgoings and 1 to 6 months later have sometimes lost the lot....So keep smiling :eek:perator:

as far as i know every tradesmen they carry work on price work and there is usually a different price depending on what contract they are working on(eg different money to wire boilers in North Ayrshire than Lanarkshire) and no-one get Hourly paid but starting a contract on price then getting the price halved after 3 months doesnt seem right surely there must be sime sort of verbal contract aout how much he would be getting, its not as if it was a new contract the company had just won, i think he said it was the 3rd year of 4 year contract to delver so many flats/houses

Sounds like someone never kept it quiet and they found out you were going home at lunchtime everyday and decided to pay you for the hours your working instead

guaranteed they are still getting the same rates for the work

sorry if its confusing, basically my mate was earning £120 a day on price work then out of the blue they have cut it to £60 i was wondering of he has any rights etc- been books in with the firm for the last 3 years

cards-in employees dont get paid day rates and then finish at dinnertime ????
they get paid an hourly rate and are contracted to work specific hours.
sounds like he's a subbie on price work as being "on the books" sounds a complete contradiction that has no relevence.
and is there any particular reason your fighting this issue for someone else ???

no just curious as to where he stands but he defo books in no doubt about it holiday pay etcj just maybe dodgy the way the company work it in if books in people are not allowed to get paid on pricework because i know if a house gets dropped he doesnt get paid the time of finish doesnt matter because if he doesnt finish till 7pm he would get anymore money

Reply to Wages getting cut!, what can i do anything ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net