Discuss Wagos? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A remarkably versatile and effective connector, justifying their higher cost compared to push-wire types. Always got a bunch of 222s in my toolbox!

Last edited:
Have to admit they looked too plastic for me but after using them once I was a convert the boxes for them have built in cable restraint (screwless) again easy to use.

Thankfully I never go near ceiling roses or downlighters but I don't see why not. Anywhere you need to connect any kind of cable up to 2.5/4.0mm², solid, stranded or fine-stranded, these will do the job. I don't like the 'Wagobox' enclosure, though I would have few situations in which one would be suitable anyway.

The 222 are the old design now, they've been replaced by the 221 which are a nicer connector. They've made them smaller and with a less 'finger pinching' lever, plus they are now clear so you can see when the conductor is in properly

They must have been on sale for a year or more now but I'm still working my way through a vast stock of 222s. Anyhow the finger pinching is part of the experience, like Cato leaping out at Clouseau the Wago lever is poised to unleash its mighty blow at the most unexpected moments. OP, really, they're fine!

I've got plenty of 3 and 5 way 222s but ran out of 2 ways. But I just can't bring myself to mix the 222 with the 221 on the same job due to a touch of ocd about such things so I doubt I'll ever use them up.

I use them on downlights, they are quick and easy. Worth the extra ££. Just careful using the new 221's theyre not classed as non maintained yet as they dont have their own enclosure. Personally not that i use them for sticking in unaccesible places.

For downlights i use the wago light boxes with the white lighting connectors. Put the connectors on the cables, then sit down and put all my flex or t&e tails into the downlighters then run round clicking them in. For that one fitting where all your connections are i personally use the wago junction box with a flex/t&e drop to the downlight but most likely someone has a better setup but it works for me and is neat and quick.

and im sure some smart @rse is going to pick me up on this and say, "well putting them in the ceiling void for downlights is classed as inaccesible..." To the person about to type that, im sure deep down you know what i mean lol

Last edited:
they're not inaccessible though.access is simple by pulling out the downlight.

Having lived and worked in France for 12 years before returning to the UK 2 years ago, Wago's are old hat to me. Over there they have been around for over 5 years and are much smaller than the UK version, but in all the time I have been using them I have never had an issue with them.

Having lived and worked in France for 12 years before returning to the UK 2 years ago, Wago's are old hat to me. Over there they have been around for over 5 years and are much smaller than the UK version, but in all the time I have been using them I have never had an issue with them.

do you use them as they are or do you use them with the enclosure

line products enclosures are the dog's danglies. 2" round fit up any downlight hole.

out of curiosity does anyone use them ideal twist one's?

Got some 'free' in a set of assorted Ideal 'in sure' connectors, I'm very wary of trying them though as twisting cables together seems a bit dodgy to me - then again I've seen hundreds of the old porcelain 'screwits' in JBs over the years which haven't gone wrong- all on lighting though. These new 'twisters' are allegedly rated at 41 amps !:confused:

wirenuts or screwits are designed for stranded cables, not the solid core shyte that we're palmed off with these days.

Haha! I seen a sparky who is now working for the same guy i used to subby for using them, they looked awful, twisting your conductors together then screwing one of them on, watching was nearly painful, i like my terminations neat, they are far from it!

A good electrician can make a sound connection with almost anything. However, given the choice, a good electrician will choose a proper connector rather than a wirenut. These things have been setting fire to stuff in the US for years, not sure why we need to start doing the same over here.

Reply to Wagos? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net