Discuss Wallbox pulsar max Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are more knowledgeable people than me on this topic and I don’t do much EV.

My understanding is that in order to do a ‘connect and notify’ to the DNO (as opposed to asking for permission to install and awaiting this) you need to guarantee the max demand will not exceed 60 amps. In turn, to do this you need a CT clamp so you can configure a grid limit on the charger.

I have never had the pleasure of installing an EV charger, but was surprised by your comment on notifying the DNO, is that a requirement and how do they justify that?

So only required if the expected total load is over the DNO installation, obvious when I think about it, think it applies more to Heat Pump that may be running during the day rather than an EV charger operating over night.

So only required if the expected total load is over the DNO installation, obvious when I think about it, think it applies more to Heat Pump that may be running during the day rather than an EV charger operating over night.
No. It's always required. Connect and Notify if it doesn't exceed 60A/phase, otherwise Apply to Connect.

No. It's always required.

I'd be grateful if you'd humour me and probably fill a gap in my knowledge.
I don't do many of these, I always follow the flow chart. I always fit CT clamps and set a grid limit.

But I have to admit I don't actually know why a CT clamp is automatically required if you have an 100 amp service fuse, you apply to connect, and your judgement of maximum demand (including the charger) is significantly less than 100 amps. So I went researching.

It seems that part of the answer lies with the requirements of the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations 2021, which set out what any charge point sold must be able to do. Without going in to chapter and verse, internet connectivity and a CT clamp would be needed for some of the requirements, so for me to re-sell this to a customer it would need to comply.

All fine, however I'm still confused, as the emphasis of legislation seems to be what on what the product must be capable of doing. I haven't yet found anything statutory saying that anyone fitting an EVCP MUST connect it to the internet and install the CT clamp. (It's obviously a good idea and I do it!)
Is it as simple as it being a very good idea to follow the manufacturers installation instructions?

I have an indoor 32A socket, powering a tumble drier, and that runs at near full load for hours on end. No permission required for that.

I guess from a distribution perspective most household power requirements are quite low. One or two power hungry customers aren't going to cause much trouble, but government plans to push EV charge point and heat pump at almost every household would change this significantly and it's likely that DNOs want to ensure existing infrastructure is fit to meet significantly increased demand.

A bit like the customer who asks for a socket to be fitted for heat in the winter, in a shed where power is already present - maybe it'll be a straightforward job and maybe they need something more robust than the existing length of 1.5mm T&E.

I have three separate electricity supplies, one split phase, rated at 15kVA per phase, and two single phase, rated at 15kVA each. I paid a considerable amount of money for these supplies and expect to be able to load them all simultaneously pretty much to the full 15kVA.
If anything goes pop when I do that, I expect it to be promptly sorted and improvements made, if necessary, to ensure it doesn't fail again. These improvements and their cost is not my problem.

Reply to Wallbox pulsar max Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net