Discuss Want to replace old light/fan switch with new one but not sure if possible. Canopy module? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently moved into a new home. My bedroom has an old Lutron light/fan switch combo that I want to replace with a smart one (it's adjacent to another switch that just controls an outlet). I had thought replacing a switch would be a pretty simple task but after starting to look at the manuals im not too sure. It looks like the old switch uses something called a Canopy Module? The listing for the new switch specifies a canopy module isn't required but doesn't say whether or not it can work with one and it's unclear to me what all the wires are that are currently running to it.

Current wiring
Manual for old switch

Manual for new switch

Can someone whose more electrical savvy than me tell if this is simple or not? Are the cables in the wall sufficient or do I need to get an electrician / different switch?

Last edited:

Reply to Want to replace old light/fan switch with new one but not sure if possible. Canopy module? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm looking for some advice for adding a time delay on my parent's shower room fan. My parents had a section of their garage converted into a...
Replies
Views
Our family room is part of an addition built a few years ago. We had an issue with nuisance tripping on an AFCI and the electrician came and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock