Discuss Well hello there good people =) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timitds

First post but been reading all your fantastic threads for a while though ;)

I'm looking to get into the trade proper after being in and out a few times in various guises.

Im under no illusions on how long it will take to become competent enough to go it on my own and always seen this type of profession as a life long learning process.
Those that seem to think you can do a 3week course and call themself a sparky have clearly no idea or experience of the trade.

Just wish id got back sooner as im 31 now having done a few years as an apprentice and labourer when i left school but for various reasons beyond my control which i wont bore you with ended up as a warehouse manager. even during those years spent almost 12 months assisting sparkys with a refurb of a huge old steel pipework factory into a warehouse that we were moving to. having been pimped out to the landlords construction team in a deal.which i loved and wanted to move over then but bad timing (damn credit crunch)prevented me.

i have done a fair bit of work in various roles in electrics since i left school but never managed to keep it continuous.

Started the course last september at my local college part time after being bumped off them last couple of years for 'higher priority' students (those on the dole or in the trade i presume) and wary of the validity of the shorter private courses as advised by friends in the trade that some are less than adequate and due to the fact that ur stuck in a classroom and not alongside day to day experience to associate what ur learning with real world scenarios.

Im due to finish my NVQ2 in june all being well..

Been working as a general labourer and plumbers mate (lol i know wrong trade ) on and off for past 8 months hoping to meet a friendly spark with enough work to take me on but no luck yet and hitting the internet hitting what seems to be an ignorant agency brick wall who dont even bother getting back to you saying thanks but no thanks in a 10 sec email.

Anyway only wanted to say hello and ended up writing an essay :rolleyes:

Thanks guys hope i havent bored you and hopefully see some of u on site soon

TIM

Welcome to Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK!

Welcome to electriciansforums.net timitds. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes:D

sure ill be picking all your brains soon enough;)

Im from Wolverhampton by the way will be adding a post on the jobs forum looking for a mates position as ive been let down on a couple of jobs lately

Reply to Well hello there good people =) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net