Discuss What are the implications of a failed Neutral - Earth insulation resistance test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings!

Newbie here! We have 3 phase installation in our Lighting dimmer rack. During Insulation Resistance testing on Earth-Nuetral, readings was 0.33Mohm on 500v test. What causede the failed test and how can I troubleshoot? Thank you!

Markus

Greetings!

Newbie here! We have 3 phase installation in our Lighting dimmer rack. During Insulation Resistance testing on Earth-Nuetral, readings was 0.33Mohm on 500v test. What causede the failed test and how can I troubleshoot? Thank you!

Markus
What earthing system do you have?

Damaged insulation on a neural conductor somewhere, you need to break the circuit down to trace the fault.

0.33 megs is a typical reading for surge protection, as above, check that out. Have you disconnected final circuits from the rack and tested them separately?

Does the rack have any indicator lights for polarity or earth fault? If so, the reading you are getting might be caused by the indicator's series resistor. What make and model of dimmer is it? Have you consulted the manufacturer's instructions about what types of insulation test are permitted?

I should start tracing from the Neutral insulation first? How about the Earth insulation? Thank you!
I have deleted my post (albeit too late) as I don't give DIY advice (sorry Markus) as I think it is dangerous.

However, you have beat me too it and copied my post. Just be safe and get an electrician. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't really work like that Markus. The problem could be many, many different things. It's OK to do some detective work and from your own experience think about the most likely causes (in fact it's a very good idea), this can help save time but it's unlikely to find the fault by it's self.

You just need to break the circuit in half somewhere then IR test either side (at the broken part). One side will have the fault, one side wont. Liven up the good side (leaving the circuit broken at the testing point) and everything that works can be eliminated....continue the process. It's a little more complicated than this if the fault is not actually accessible but it generally is.
Thank you for info. I will start the breakdown to find the faulty cable/circuit somewhere.

It's not clear what the OP is testing. Is it the 3-phase supply cable from the distribution board to the dimmer rack? Is the rack still connected to the cable? Are the outgoing lighting circuits still connected to the dimmers?

Again, what make and model of rack is it? Please give us more information. A few of us here have decades of experience specifically testing entertainment lighting dimmer installations, but we can't help you without details.

It's not clear what the OP is testing. Is it the 3-phase supply cable from the distribution board to the dimmer rack? Is the rack still connected to the cable? Are the outgoing lighting circuits still connected to the dimmers?

Again, what make and model of rack is it?
Is it the 3-phase supply cable from the distribution board to the dimmer rack?
Yes!
Is the rack still connected to the cable?
Yes!
Are the outgoing lighting circuits still connected to the dimmers?
Yes!

Everything is still connected during Insulation testing in this particular dimmer rack. And only this rack failed the insulation test on 500v test with reading of 0.3Mohms.
I will start removing individual connection and run the test until I find the issue.

At the moment, when you test N-E you are testing the supply cable, all the electronics in the rack, all the outgoing circuits, all the lighting fixtures powered by those circuits, literally the whole system at once. This is not a helpful test (unless it passes!)

Also, the manufacturers may not permit testing just N-E at 500V as this can put the test voltage across the output semiconductors. You must test in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions or you might damage the dimmers.

I can't add any more until you tell the model of the dimmer rack.

At the moment, when you test N-E you are testing the supply cable, all the electronics in the rack, all the outgoing circuits, all the lighting fixtures powered by those circuits, literally the whole system at once. This is not a helpful test (unless it passes!)

Also, the manufacturers may not permit testing just N-E at 500V as this can put the test voltage across the output semiconductors. You must test in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions or you might damage the dimmers.

I can't add any more until you tell the model of the dimmer rack.
We are using
C21 DIMMING SYSTEM
please refer to the photo.
This system supplied by 3 phase power.

Attachments

• c21-dimming-rack.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ec21-dimmersystem452-410.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17

Reply to What are the implications of a failed Neutral - Earth insulation resistance test? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net