Discuss What are your thoughts on this 3ph domestic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Please keep the thread civil or it will be closed.
@ Charlie if you have an issue with any comments aimed at you then feel free to use the report button that's why it's there, but to be fair you have said you are still in training which is why some members are cautious with their advice.
@sajeel by all means participate in the thread but leave the moderating to the moderators.

I didn't ask if you went there, I asked if you actually carried out some sort of load study. Ie did you connect current recording equipment to the installation to record the actual load?
No because I wasn't being paid to carry out a test I was there with my plumber when he asked me if he could convert single phase to 3 phase.

So you don't know any details of the overload, or even if it was actually an overload or another fault in the shower?

What was tripping on overload? You don't normally see a main circuit breaker on domestic

As I said I spoke to potential customer who had a very large house with 2 showers 2 ovens and 2 hobs he was complaining of tripping on occasions when a lot of equipment is used simultaneously a quick walk around and rough calculation gave me the conclusion that even with diversity included if many appliances are used he will exceed the 100a rating of incoming supply head and that a further survey would need to be carried out and a upgrade to dno for 3 phase would be required if you are exceeding the 100a load

My first thought was single phase supply conversion, to three phase, but looking at that photo TNS lead supply no just replaced the 3 phase cut out. (me thinks, how do you know all phases are live)?

Certain people on here are consistently rude to newcomers. Maybe the guy is out of his depth, maybe he isn't, but no-one will come to this forum and stay if they are spoken to in this manner. I thought this had been stamped out a while ago. Daz

As I said I spoke to potential customer who had a very large house with 2 showers 2 ovens and 2 hobs he was complaining of tripping on occasions when a lot of equipment is used simultaneously a quick walk around and rough calculation gave me the conclusion that even with diversity included if many appliances are used he will exceed the 100a rating of incoming supply head and that a further survey would need to be carried out and a upgrade to dno for 3 phase would be required if you are exceeding the 100a load

But what was tripping?

I spoke with SSE power distribution regarding an install that was 2 SP meters off a 3 phase head (large house with guest house on the grounds (new owner was told by surveyor the electrics dated to the late 40s (looking at them I agreed VIR everywhere ). Tap tap tap 3 phases all live at that address. Speak to SSE about a 3 phase meter (seemingly broken into separate divisions ) SSE no charge to change to 3 phase meter and standing charge the same on a domestic install

SSE reckoned going 3 phase might end up cheaper in that case as one standing charge and unit rate likely lower due to assumed higher demand (didn't quite figure that but must make sense to them )

Reply to What are your thoughts on this 3ph domestic. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net