Discuss What certificate to issue...? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a job last night upgrading the main earthing conductors to 16mm and replacing a faulty RCCB at clients reuqest (after recommendations from another sparky who carried out an EICR at the shop).

I have replaced RCCB's and RCBO's before an always a bit unsure on what certificate to issue as you're not installing a new circuit or extending it so what do you guys do? I usually issue an EIC, but it doesn't really warrant all that paper work!
Same issue with the 16mm earthing!

Any ideas kind people?

MWC as you are not installing a new circuit.

in extent of works you'd say something like :

" upgrade of Main Earthing Conductors to 16mm
Replace faulty RCCB"

then note readings for Ze, and Zs (for the modified circuit), RCCB trip times.

This a grey area, although you are not installing a new circuit you are altering CU unit components at the source.
In addition, the replacing you are doing is not like to like and therefore can be seen as an alteration which require to be tested and schedule of test result filled.
My ooinion, I will be leaning towards EIC but I suppose MWC capture most of that as well.
I believe the gurus will be advising us more..

This a grey area, although you are not installing a new circuit you are altering CU unit components at the source.
In addition, the replacing you are doing is not like to like and therefore can be seen as an alteration which require to be tested and schedule of test result filled.
My ooinion, I will be leaning towards EIC but I suppose MWC capture most of that as well.
I believe the gurus will be advising us more..

I believe the MWC is fine regs wise .
"For works that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit a MWC may be issued" Is the wording, or something similar at least.

To be pedantic it's not the main Earthing conductor. It's simply the Earthing conductor as there is only one in an installation. Not sure that a MEIWC is actually appropriate for this.

To be pedantic it's not the main Earthing conductor. It's simply the Earthing conductor as there is only one in an installation. Not sure that a MEIWC is actually appropriate for this.
surely all cpc's are earthing conductors.

It's actually the Installation Earthing conductor.
The term in the BS7671 Definitions section and throughout the Standard is "Earthing conductor". CPCs are not Earthing conductors although they connect exposed conductive parts to the MET. An electrical installation only has one Earthing conductor.

There are a number of instances where a part of an installation would be connected to a separate Earth electrode not connected to the Main Earthing terminal.
A recent thread has highlighted one where an EV charging point is installed.

Reply to What certificate to issue...? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net