Search the forum,

Discuss What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carlos Arruda

Hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to apologize, as it might seem like I am asking an all to similar questions that has been asked here endlessly. Please rest assured, I have read a big deal of those but, sadly, I am still in the dark.

Secondly, can anybody please let me know what certifications I need to be able to start working (self employed) as an electrician. I need the very basic to get me started and then anything else will follow suit.

I have asked the college tutors and not even them are sure as to the path one must take. I have completed a Commercial and Electrical installations Level 2 C&G which took me a year and have now enrolled on Level 3.

According to my tutors I will be qualified to work as self employed once I have completed my Level 3. They even said I can already work doing some minor jobs as long as I register myself with a body like ECA provided that I meet their criteria which is to be enrolled on a level 3 course and successfully passed it within it's time frame, in this case 2 years.

It seems that this is a bit confusing as to register with ECA they require to have some of my latest works assessed but I can't do those same jobs because I am not yet registered with them???? Confusing and sounds like catch 22 swings and roundabouts.

The course I have done is the one
HTML:
http://www.lowestoft.ac.uk/college-courses/construction-and-trades/electrical-installation-level-2.aspx

Please advise as I am utterly confused with all the information out there.

Regards,
Albert

Here we go again.
The minimum for registration with the likes of Elecsa etc is the 17th edition qual (C&G2382 I think) as they say you'll need 2 jobs to show em. Change the CU at your house and do something at your girlfriends, job done, when you're registered notify them. Get your insurances etc together and your £500 and you're in mate. No one ever fails.
All this info is contained on their websites Carlos so I really don't see what you're confused about.
Forgive the tone but these questions have been answered about a billion times.
Good luck in your business venture and keep on studying.

No need for the attitude there Trev!

Yeah the question has been answered before but as Carlos said, he has found conflicting information and was seeking clarity, which you did provide!

Wow a telling off from 2 newbies. If you'd bothered to read you'd have spotted the second last line of my reply to him. Perhaps when you've been here a while you'll learn what I'm talking about.

Funny how you got told off by someone just registered who's in Gorleston replying to another newly registered user that went to a college 8 miles down the road!!!

Wow a telling off from 2 newbies. If you'd bothered to read you'd have spotted the second last line of my reply to him. Perhaps when you've been here a while you'll learn what I'm talking about.

What's the other word for bliss, trev ?

Here we go again.
The minimum for registration with the likes of Elecsa etc is the 17th edition qual (C&G2382 I think) as they say you'll need 2 jobs to show em. Change the CU at your house and do something at your girlfriends, job done, when you're registered notify them. Get your insurances etc together and your £500 and you're in mate. No one ever fails.
All this info is contained on their websites Carlos so I really don't see what you're confused about.
Forgive the tone but these questions have been answered about a billion times.
Good luck in your business venture and keep on studying.
whoos to say he dont?

Wow, I wasn't 'telling off' anyone, I was under the impression that people were here to be helpful, maybe I was wrong with that idea?

not a giant leap to guess we attend the same college either.

I did read your whole post, did you bother to read all mine before getting self righteous? I acknowledged your helpful reply.

the trouble with forums is people who don't know you or your posting history won't understand your humor if that's what that was, I understand it can be frustrating to re answer what seems to be the same questions but not everyone has the same circumstances or have been told so many things that they become confused by it all, our main issue here is the college and the way the courses we have signed up to have been explained to us and the progression route from them, you have cleared that up in your reply and I thank you for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble with forums is they are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Trev, I hold in high esteem, he’s earned it. Not just from me but many members.

You on the other hand have nothing to offer as far as I can see. You may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

In my views qualification will be offered at level 2 and level 3 which will consist of some technical units from the scheme named apprentice 2357. Once you have completed this qualification, it can then be mapped across to apprentice 2357 and which clearly depicts completion of ECS registration and performance units.

Wow, I wasn't 'telling off' anyone, I was under the impression that people were here to be helpful, maybe I was wrong with that idea?

not a giant leap to guess we attend the same college either.

I did read your whole post, did you bother to read all mine before getting self righteous? I acknowledged your helpful reply.

the trouble with forums is people who don't know you or your posting history won't understand your humor if that's what that was, I understand it can be frustrating to re answer what seems to be the same questions but not everyone has the same circumstances or have been told so many things that they become confused by it all, our main issue here is the college and the way the courses we have signed up to have been explained to us and the progression route from them, you have cleared that up in your reply and I thank you for that.
Let's just put it down to a late night storm in a teacup then.

All new members have to be qualified to NVQ3 now along with the 2382 to join a scheme.
More self-employed joining a saturated market....joy.

if that's correct, how will the Electrical Trainee be able to join?

Having spoke to NICEIC and Elecsa last month at Elex all they wanted was 2382 and between 1 and 3 jobs to look at (plus payment).
I personally think this is an absolute joke!
You should have at least a level 3 and 2382 at least to be able to join a scheme.

I'm old-school and everything seems to be the wrong way round these days. It used to be that a qualification was merely the 'ticket' that confirmed that the holder had the studied the theory in applying the skills they had acquired over several years working in the real word on real jobs alongside and under the direct supervision of an experienced mentor.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it now seems that skill is no longer the main requirement, and in essence, anyone can call themselves 'a qualified electrician' by sitting a 90 minute multiple choice 'open textbook' exam and getting a slightly higher score than would be expected by giving random answers.
And this is OK?

I'm old-school and everything seems to be the wrong way round these days. It used to be that a qualification was merely the 'ticket' that confirmed that the holder had the studied the theory in applying the skills they had acquired over several years working in the real word on real jobs alongside and under the direct supervision of an experienced mentor.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it now seems that skill is no longer the main requirement, and in essence, anyone can call themselves 'a qualified electrician' by sitting a 90 minute multiple choice 'open textbook' exam and getting a slightly higher score than would be expected by giving random answers.
And this is OK?

I would tend to agree even though I am probably one of the people acquiring qualifications backwards although I don't intend to finish qualifications and band myself about as a qualified electrician! In my opinion, nobody is qualified without having done the job with a time served mentor, such as the apprenticeship scheme and even then there is still a lot to learn, I will personally be looking to get what I consider the base qualifications then hopefully get a job assisting someone who has experience and moving forward from there, I freely admit it will be hard work for me personally as the apprenticeship scheme really isn't going to work for me due to my age, that's not a moan, just a fact of life people want to take on youngsters for apprenticeships.

Maybe the new 15-18 day courses award an NVQ 3 at the end. I suspect that there may be "alternatives" which can be substituted for the actual qualification itself. Not that I'm cynical at all....

I think you are right but, I think these courses are dangerous however, there is no way anyone can grasp fully what being an Electrician is all about from a course like that and I can only imagine what the tutors tell people on these courses what they can do with their cornflake packet qualifications.

Went into a new electrical wholesalers today, just to give him my card, see what he stocks etc.. He informs me that he sells a lot to plumbers, along with "electricians" who by their own admission don't even own test gear, but they know how to wire the circuits....
I was shocked to be honest.

it's like the offie flogging booze and smokes to 14 year olds.

one day this country'll get it right - and then we'll have kitchen fitters loitering outside the wholesalers, asking us to go inside and buy 'em a packet of bw cable glands.

it's like the offie flogging booze and smokes to 14 year olds.

one day this country'll get it right - and then we'll have kitchen fitters loitering outside the wholesalers, asking us to go inside and buy 'em a packet of bw cable glands.

i can just picture it now, the sparks reply

" of course, for a small favour round the back... We'll start with a story, tell me a story"

All new members have to be qualified to NVQ3 now along with the 2382 to join a scheme.
More self-employed joining a saturated market....joy.

Never wanted a post on this forum to be true as much as this one.

I've taken myself away from the educational system / courses because it frustrates me...so hopefully some brighter news guitarist, it'll be welcomed by the vast majority of the industry. Unlike the Electrical Trainee the NVQL3 has to actually be achieved with commitment and dedication to the trade.

Hello all.

Gentleman come one... What's going on here? Have we stopped and think for a while that not ALL of us out there, seeking for qualifications, are after the so wanted certificate and never mind the rest that comes with, I don't know? Experience?

Once I am a fully qualified electrician, and I shall work towards that goal, I will call myself a fully qualified electrician. I apologies if it comes across as arrogant but it will be a fact once I am finished with all the studying.

Now, I would never ever even think to call myself an experienced electrician in comparison to one that has been and done work on the field for 10, 20 and 30 years, absolutely not and they'll have my respect. I would be lucky to work side by side to one.

But like Marc has mentioned, it does not seems like we are going to be luck enough to enroll under the apprenticeship path as these are more prone to be offered to unreliable (not all) teenagers and we all know that a teenager will do any job for next to nothing when it comes to the £ signs.

Us, mature grown up man, with a family to support cannot afford it unless we're on benefits. Now again, I apologize if you guys took Mark's comments as offensive but like myself he's also confused about the whole thing, and so far after so many replies not many were concise with what I was asking. Instead it seems we had people barking at each other.

I understand that you cannot, and will never be, an electrician without the experience that comes from working on the field day in day out but come on guys give us a break.

Regards,
Albert

Ok then, you'll need the C&G, the one you're on? When you're done with that you'll need an NVQ3 and/or AM2. While on the NVQ you'll need to get some practical experience so you can build a portfolio to show what you've worked on.

Hello all.

Gentleman come one... What's going on here? Have we stopped and think for a while that not ALL of us out there, seeking for qualifications, are after the so wanted certificate and never mind the rest that comes with, I don't know? Experience?

Once I am a fully qualified electrician, and I shall work towards that goal, I will call myself a fully qualified electrician. I apologies if it comes across as arrogant but it will be a fact once I am finished with all the studying.

Now, I would never ever even think to call myself an experienced electrician in comparison to one that has been and done work on the field for 10, 20 and 30 years, absolutely not and they'll have my respect. I would be lucky to work side by side to one.

But like Marc has mentioned, it does not seems like we are going to be luck enough to enroll under the apprenticeship path as these are more prone to be offered to unreliable (not all) teenagers and we all know that a teenager will do any job for next to nothing when it comes to the £ signs.

Us, mature grown up man, with a family to support cannot afford it unless we're on benefits. Now again, I apologize if you guys took Mark's comments as offensive but like myself he's also confused about the whole thing, and so far after so many replies not many were concise with what I was asking. Instead it seems we had people barking at each other.

I understand that you cannot, and will never be, an electrician without the experience that comes from working on the field day in day out but come on guys give us a break.

Regards,
Albert

Fully qualified to become an electrician is closer to home, I feel.

How about a couple of screwdrivers - one with a neon lamp in the handle for testing and stirring tea, a pair of sidecutters, a pair of pliers, a pair of spurs, a saddle, a strong horse and a Stetson hat. :)

i don't think you're arrogant, just a little misguided.

what you should be aiming for is competence. the word 'qualified' gets banded-about quite a lot, but in reality, on it's own, it doesn't really mean anything.

of course, it's a good idea to have 'qualifications' as part of the package that proves competency. but along with this, you need experience and practical skills - something that can't be obtained in a classroom.

Ok then, you'll need the C&G, the one you're on? When you're done with that you'll need an NVQ3 and/or AM2. While on the NVQ you'll need to get some practical experience so you can build a portfolio to show what you've worked on.

Many thanks Trev.

Now the problem we are having, correct me Marc if I am wrong, the college is saying we cannot get an NVQ unless we enroll on an apprenticeship. And if this is the case, then at our age we are stuck in a dead end career and spending good money on it. Unless we are employed by the industry and are lucky enough to be selected (unlikely as teenagers are given priority over us in mid 30s) then might as well drop out now and save £3.500 on this level 3.

Please share your thoughts Trev on this.

Regards,
Albert (middle name, sorry but force of habit).

There's a forum sponsor over there ------------------->
XS Training, get in touch with them and they'll tell you what they can do for you.

you've no chance of getting an apprenticeship at your age.

get in touch with XS training - they've got some nvq places left. you'll find their details in the list of sponsors on this site.

edit: tornado trev beat me to it!!

Hello all.

Regards,
Albert

Well said Albert, nice to see someone on this forum is sticking up for those guys who actually are mature and intelligent enough to understand the limitations of an intensive electrical course and do them not necessarily wanting to be a fully qualified electrician. I agree with many forum members, the way in which the intensive courses are advertised is shockingly misleading and for a change of career probably not the best way to start. However there are plenty of us out there using what we have learned to carry out domestic electrical works correctly & safely. I am one of the much berated "Domestic Electrical Installers" registered with ELECSA and legally allowed to install, test, inspect and certify my own domestic electrical works but have never thought of myself or pretended to be an electrician. I am competent but there are plenty of Electricians Defence League members that would still see me shot!

Sorry to sound cynical, but we've heard it all before on here.
Guys come on here saying "I just want to get qualified enough so that I can work alongside an experienced electrician and I definitely won't be working on my own until I'm confident that I can do all the work to a high standard in a few years." A few weeks later, the same guys say "Just about to rewire a massive house from scratch and don't know how to go about it. Can you all help me please? Also, don't knock me, I have a wife and family to support!"
Sorry, but fed up of hearing it and also following behind these people.

Really long thread, its probably been metnioned, but first thing pops into my head, besides qualifications, would surley be experience and competency. Anyway, carry on...

The trouble with forums is they are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Trev, I hold in high esteem, he’s earned it. Not just from me but many members.

You on the other hand have nothing to offer as far as I can see. You may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.
Tony....we`v been over this...it must be a thousand times....
just caus some of these young buck chimps have pulled a cable or three in....and connected up the odd load which actually worked first time out.....they think they`v arrived......
what they want is a good smacked arse....

Tony....we`v been over this...it must be a thousand times....
just caus some of these young buck chimps have pulled a cable or three in....and connected up the odd load which actually worked first time out.....they think they`v arrived......
what they want is a good smacked arse....

Hey Glen mate ............

I've just finished a complete rewire of my mate's place ......

D'ye fancy doing the cert for it?

There'll be a pint or three in it for ye.

Sorry to sound cynical, but we've heard it all before on here.
Guys come on here saying "I just want to get qualified enough so that I can work alongside an experienced electrician and I definitely won't be working on my own until I'm confident that I can do all the work to a high standard in a few years." A few weeks later, the same guys say "Just about to rewire a massive house from scratch and don't know how to go about it. Can you all help me please? Also, don't knock me, I have a wife and family to support!"
Sorry, but fed up of hearing it and also following behind these people.

I don't think you sound cynical as the guys you are referring obviously are misguided, dangerous and shouldn't be anywhere near electrical works. Unfortunately the majority of forum members tar us all with the same brush and refuse to believe any good can come from attending a four week course. I've been in the building trade for the past 27 years as a carpenter/builder and without trying to sound big headed know a fair bit about house building. Over the years i have altered a few sockets here and there without thinking too much of the consequences, whats wrong with wanting to be able to do this safely and to the current regs? Please explain why I should get a fully qualified electrician in to do this for me?

Hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to apologize, as it might seem like I am asking an all to similar questions that has been asked here endlessly. Please rest assured, I have read a big deal of those but, sadly, I am still in the dark.

Secondly, can anybody please let me know what certifications I need to be able to start working (self employed) as an electrician. I need the very basic to get me started and then anything else will follow suit.

I have asked the college tutors and not even them are sure as to the path one must take. I have completed a Commercial and Electrical installations Level 2 C&G which took me a year and have now enrolled on Level 3.

According to my tutors I will be qualified to work as self employed once I have completed my Level 3. They even said I can already work doing some minor jobs as long as I register myself with a body like ECA provided that I meet their criteria which is to be enrolled on a level 3 course and successfully passed it within it's time frame, in this case 2 years.

It seems that this is a bit confusing as to register with ECA they require to have some of my latest works assessed but I can't do those same jobs because I am not yet registered with them???? Confusing and sounds like catch 22 swings and roundabouts.

The course I have done is the one
HTML:
http://www.lowestoft.ac.uk/college-courses/construction-and-trades/electrical-installation-level-2.aspx

Please advise as I am utterly confused with all the information out there.

Regards,
Albert
thats nothing short of pathetic...

- - - Updated - - -

Reply to What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net