Discuss what do you guys think of clamp testers? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Mike, depends on what type of current measurements you want to take, I have several but to be honest it's a personal choice, why not start off with what you can afford. Megger used to do one that you could use on multi-core cables you know twin, flex, singles etc, I think I may have a spare one in my garage, its your's if you can arrange to pay the postage, I'm on a pension now so every penny counts, good luck

Everyone working on Electrical circuits or appliances should have at least 1 clamp ammeter.

Every Electrician working with RCD /RCBO should have an Earth leakage Clamp Ammeter.

mike. take up that offer of pete's. it will do you for a start.

A clamp meter is an essential tool for any electrician. You don't need to spend a fortune on a Fluke or a Megger, [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-Trend-UT202A-Auto-ranging-AC-600-Amp-Clamp-Meter-/261551579675?]try one of these[/URL] if you're on a budget.

thanks dude. at the movement im just looking but soon as i get some money together il give you a message mate. btw any idea on the model?

A clamp meter is an essential tool for any electrician. You don't need to spend a fortune on a Fluke or a Megger, try one of these if you're on a budget.
noo catch just comparing models the one you linked looked pritty cool for the price :p like i said im new to clamp testers my college didnt really tell us anything about them and guy i worked with just didnt have one but they look really good

they have their uses. basically a non contact means of measuring current flow without disconnecting anything. useful to ensure there's no load on an installation before you pull the main fuse. the mA resolution ones are useful to find if there's any earth leakage when fault finding tripping RCDs.

Hi Mike, depends on what type of current measurements you want to take, I have several but to be honest it's a personal choice, why not start off with what you can afford. Megger used to do one that you could use on multi-core cables you know twin, flex, singles etc, I think I may have a spare one in my garage, its your's if you can arrange to pay the postage, I'm on a pension now so every penny counts, good luck

Megger MMC850 - they killed this clamp a year or so ago and nobody has a similar one, anywhere. We have calls for them weekly so there's a market for it! You'd get a lot more than postage if you tried :p

Megger MMC850 - they killed this clamp a year or so ago and nobody has a similar one, anywhere. We have calls for them weekly so there's a market for it! You'd get a lot more than postage if you tried :p

The one I have offered is an AVO FLEXICLAMP 200 no where near as good as the item you are talking about

The one I have offered is an AVO FLEXICLAMP 200 no where near as good as the item you are talking about

if it says AVO on it. it's got to be good. mike is a fool if he don't take up your generous offer. afaik, it will measure up to 40A round a twin or 3 core witout separating the cores.

I've used a Fluke 1000 for many years. It was designed to be plugged into a Fluke multimeter current input. But I use it with a 10 ohm burden resistor that I can look across with a scope.

That gives me an isolated current waveform which is pretty handy for variable speed drives. And I can download the waveform from the scope for later number crunching. The scope I use gives me a good few measurement options. Average, RMS, peak, period, frequency.........all manner of jolly good stuff. If you need that kind of thing.

Which I do from time to time for power quality analysis. But it does the basics too. What I particularly like is the aperture.
It can get round more conductor sizes than you can shake a stick at.

Got 4 in total 2 x 200amp 1 x 400amp and 1 x 2000amp for the big boy stuff 1 x earth leakage.

As a starter, i would definitely go for an earth leakage clamp tester, especially if all you do is domestic and light commercial work. Most will go up to a 100A, but will have the now essential facility of measuring earth leakage mA currents, that you will be using far more often than the straight amp clamp side of things. Go check out the Test-Meter site that has a very good budget clamp meter, and get the forum discount to boot!! ...lol!!

Reply to what do you guys think of clamp testers? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net