Discuss What electrics are required for water underfloor heating? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked by the plumber to be present when he installs the water underfloor heating. This was not part of my quote as it is not something I do. Bit unsure of exactly what he will want as it is the builder I am talking to and have not yet spoken to the plumber.

I was hoping for a bit of insight as to what electrical connections are usually required with water underfloor heating which includes a manifold?

Cheers all :) (smiley face thing just comes up with a search bar when you press it)

It may well be that you will require several room stats to control individual valves that supply such rooms. Its best to speak to the designer (more than likely the plumber) of the system and see exactly what the requirements will be.
A supply to the manifold, a 3c+e cable from each stat to the manifold, and a multicore link from the manifold to the boiler minimum. But until you see the design.................

According to how many Zone's have been designed in to the system each Zone will have its own valve and may require an additional pump as well as thermostats for each Zone, I would suspect the plumber is going to install most of the controls as they normally do, but he may require you to connect the control interface or pump/s to the DB.

Depending on how large the building is the normal setup for these is to have a system boiler which flows to a manifold, the mainfold then has a number of what are basically electric TRV's which open and close the various loops according to local room stats. So each room/zone needs cabling for a stat, back to a wiring centre, the wiring centre then needs to produce the CFH to the boiler, run the pump and send +ve to the valves. Often made a lot easier by using a contactor on the pump/CFH side.

I have been asked by the plumber to be present when he installs the water underfloor heating. This was not part of my quote as it is not something I do. Bit unsure of exactly what he will want as it is the builder I am talking to and have not yet spoken to the plumber.

I was hoping for a bit of insight as to what electrical connections are usually required with water underfloor heating which includes a manifold?

Cheers all :) (smiley face thing just comes up with a search bar when you press it)
Hi , I installed a complete underfloor heating system myself and it’s not too bad. What will be required is the controls for each circuit. Assuming each room will require its own circuit or two there will be a manifold somewhere where all the individual underfloor pipes come together. Install a underfloor heating controller there. this will need a 230v supply. Also each room will require a temperature sensor/thermostat wired back to the controller. Also will require a switched supply to the heat source/boiler and circulating pump. The manifold will have solenoids which open when heat is required from the controller. Usually solenoids cables wired directly into the controller. IMPORTANT read instruction book which comes with the controller, it will explain it all. Room thermostats could all be wired daisy changed with my system, so cutting down on cabling as they were addressable. Get all the equipment together before starting to make sure they are compatible with each other. Good luck!

If you are there you might want to clarify what is your remit and who will pay. For sure it will take time to become familiar with the set up and the Manufacturer’s installation instruction. Perhaps ask Mr Plumber what system they’re installing?

A while back I spent a day correcting Another’s works by simply following instructions - @Diytim is on target :) .

Some even require a network connection (WiFi or Cat6) too, so you really must find out what system and familiarise yourself with it and what is required before advising on the additional cost if not included in your quote!

Reply to What electrics are required for water underfloor heating? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net