Discuss What gauge cable from meter to fuse board?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Acdc2021

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I just had a new 18th gen with surge protection installed. They disconnected the old cable and did a new run, the cert says 10 gauge was used but then I just had a different sparky who is looking to wire up my garage see it and say it should be 16.

Just wondering what is correct and should I be getting them back to put in 16? The cable run from the meter outside to the box inside is approx 10m ish and the house currently has a 60amp fuse but looking to increase to 80amp just a normal home but with a 9kw ashp and will have a garage/workshop soon.

Thanks

I'm concerned about a few potential/things in your post.

Is there a device in between the meter and your new consumer unit? Immediately after the meter there should be some form of protective device if the cable run is 10m.

10mm csa cable wouldn't likely be suitable, and tbh 16mm wouldn't be great either if you're looking to expand.

Who did this work for you? Are they a registered, competent electrician?

I'm concerned about a few potential/things in your post.

Is there a device in between the meter and your new consumer unit? Immediately after the meter there should be some form of protective device if the cable run is 10m.

10mm csa cable wouldn't likely be suitable, and tbh 16mm wouldn't be great either if you're looking to expand.

Who did this work for you? Are they a registered, competent electrician?
Hi,

Yeah, they are a registered electrian who have issued a certificate, and if it weren't for needing more work done I may not be none the wiser. They responded with the folowing attachments.

They are defending their work but I contacted LG and what they have said doesn't quite add up to what the ashp should have as a fuse.

I will be honest it all goes a bit beyond my understanding but from what I gather something is wrong however they seem adamant they did it right, which leaves me unsure how to progress.

Attachments

• ab9d917c-81bc-4f77-9f46-426d36b45f47.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 5fd13dc3-afd7-44ae-b2e4-b7f13314a480.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5a3fa620-5918-46e5-832b-bbc6a7e10f7e.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 44
As asked above, is there not a fused isolator upstream of the 10mm run? If there was, say, a 60 Amp fused switch near the meter it would begin to make a little more sense.
I also can't help wondering about earthing arrangements, possible PME and hence earthing conductor size.
It might be worth posting a photo of the meter and surrounding area.

Hi,

Yeah, they are a registered electrian who have issued a certificate, and if it weren't for needing more work done I may not be none the wiser. They responded with the folowing attachments.

They are defending their work but I contacted LG and what they have said doesn't quite add up to what the ashp should have as a fuse.

I will be honest it all goes a bit beyond my understanding but from what I gather something is wrong however they seem adamant they did it right, which leaves me unsure how to progress.
We need to see some pics of this to tell what they've actually done. Can you also post up the certifcate that they issued you (with names etc blacked out)?

As asked above, is there not a fused isolator upstream of the 10mm run? If there was, say, a 60 Amp fused switch near the meter it would begin to make a little more sense.
I also can't help wondering about earthing arrangements, possible PME and hence earthing conductor size.
It might be worth posting a photo of the meter and surrounding area.
Hi,

Here are a couple of pics. The black 3x10 cable runs into the house straight to the fuse board.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210419_093022.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 37
As ever.... having all the facts! So, assuming that's a 63A fuse in the carrier, and the installation method is also correct then that 10mm SWA is in fact fine. Short-sighted, in my opinion, but compliant. I'm not enjoying that bend radius and pull on the gland, though!

Well the good news is the SWA appears to be fed from a fused-switch, but fuse rating not obvious.

The not so good news is what is that earth wire coming in with the supply doing? It appears to be unconnected?!

Edited to add: The DNO fuse is 60A so in a sense that other fuse is not likely to be any higher and so it is safe w.r.t. 10mm cable.

Well the good news is the SWA appears to be fed from a fused-switch, but fuse rating not obvious.

The not so good news is what is that earth wire coming in with the supply doing? It appears to be unconnected?!

Edited to add: The DNO fuse is 60A so in a sense that other fuse is not likely to be any higher and so it is safe w.r.t. 10mm cable.
I spotted that too, though there does also appear to be TNCS earthing. I'd be checking water and gas is still bonded though!

I spotted that too, though there does also appear to be TNCS earthing.
Might have been TT originally so goes to some rod, or maybe it is (was) a water or gas bond?

I guess the bent-double tails bottom right were from a previous CU feed, but I suppose you had to be there to find out!

Might have been TT originally so goes to some rod, or maybe it is (was) a water or gas bond?

I guess the bent-double tails bottom right were from a previous CU feed, but I suppose you had to be there to find out!
Yes. It's a shame we can't see the Ze that someone wrote on the board, as that might have confirmed a previous TT.

How big does anyone think the concentric supply cable is? I struggle to imagine more it's more than 10mm.
In fact I've noticed new 100A installs in my area being fed in 16mm concentric, which jump up to 25mm tails our side of the meter!

How big does anyone think the concentric supply cable is? I struggle to imagine more it's more than 10mm.
In fact I've noticed new 100A installs in my area being fed in 16mm concentric, which jump up to 25mm tails our side of the meter!
This old chestnut. Different regs, basically. And the fact that DNO's average out demand/diversity to about 2.5kw for a domestic.

This was the set up before they changed it. The fuse is 60A but I am getting an 80A put in soon.
Depends on what temperature rating the SWA is. 70c and you're limited. Just beats me why they didn't put a 16/3 in - I would!

Just beats me why they didn't put a 16/3 in - I would!
Cable path and wrangling issues?

I guess if the desire for more than 60A was not clear to the person choosing the cable they would go with 10mm as cheaper and easier to feed through any difficult route, and fine for 60A max.

Reply to What gauge cable from meter to fuse board?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net