Discuss What is the salary for a domestic electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SimonRoss

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what is the average salary for an electrician working domestically? I'm looking into electrotechnical services career information. Thanks!

Simon

depends on how good you are, how fast you are, how much work you get, how much you charge, what area you live in and probably what state the economy is in

A ball park,

employed/agency spark - £20-30k

self employed spark - see above but with enough work coming in anything up to the region of £50-70k for the sparks at the top of their game covering most disciplines, maybe more with an employee or two

Domestic installers and Electrical Trainee's - who knows???

Up to £50,747 to be precise. Same as plumbers and green energy installers (or so the adverts would have you believe).

In reality if you're starting from scratch you'd probably lose money in your first year. There are no guarantees.

If you choose the self employed route making a profit of £1 for the first year would be a success.

As for the £50,747 - such claims are rubbish.

Some perspective here:

I am a time served Sparks with 17+ years experiance, made redundant in april started my own contracting firm have made a total of 1,200 turnover since then.

That is employing every trick I know to gain work.

Start up cost was approx 5K

Its tough out there at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some perspective here:

I am a time served Sparks with 17+ years experiance, made redundant in april started my own contracting firm have made a total of 1,200 turnover since then.

That is employing every trick I know to gain work.

Start up cost was approx 5K

Its tough out there at the moment!

not bad considering the economic times we are facing wait till you get established more pennys will follow

Yup money is money - got made redundant on 2nd of April so making £600 a month at the moment (turnover not profit).

Bit of a shock coming from the solar industry where I was pulling in £2500 a month on the books.

I'm in it for the long haul - I have spent too much time and effort to throw the towel in now.

If you choose the self employed route making a profit of £1 for the first year would be a success.

As for the £50,747 - such claims are rubbish.
They are indeed rubbish claims, I'm only on track to earn £50,345 this year, gutted. :lol:

Pickings are a bit slim at the minute on agency work, with the way it's going I'll be lucky to gross £18K this year.

Wow,

Thanks for everyone's input, it sounds tough out there at the moment...I thought being an electricina would be a real good career choice for long term money, security...any regrets from you long term sparkies?

There are exceptions to the general rule,but on the whole if money is the prime motivation,there are countless better ways of earning a more profitable income than sparking

It does have its good points,if electricity interests you,then that interest will grow through the years rather than become tedious like so many occupations

It usually provides a steady flow of work,in the sense that most of the year,you should find employment (with some difficult times)but each year there is almost work guaranteed

Becoming self employed and finding work is an alternative that electricians can persue,more so than most occupations

I would say,you must first decide what motivates you,then make your decision after that

You’re a fool if you think you can walk out of collage and demand the ridiculous sums promised by the training centres.

Sorry for being blunt, but welcome to the real world.

I worked for my self for 2 years a while back bailed out as I was getting bit stressed by constantly chasing money of builders it can take over your life 24 7 sometimes must admit did do well cash wise thought about doing it again recently but seems to be that many vans with all the logos on might sit tight in this cushy maintenance job for a bit longer

it is possible to earn 50K as an agency/ employed spark, but that is doing rediculous hours, on a well paid job. As a properly self employed sparks, buying materials, it depends on 3 things: your skills and experience as a sparks: Competence, your skills as a businessman, and the amount of work you get in.

You could have worfor 3 years solid, butif your underpricing yourself, then you might earn pittence, you culd be a rubbish sparks and loose cusotmers and reputation, or finally and probably most conmmon IMO, is that you can be a brilliant sparks, but no business skills and because of that you get no work.

Reply to What is the salary for a domestic electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net