Discuss What is the salary for a domestic electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the important thing to remember is that as a newly qualified spark you potential earnings will never be towards the upper limit and nobody should think that once "qualified" your on the big money as such.

Maybe after 5, then 10, the 15 years your earnings will increase as does your experience in matters of industry and business.

50k year 1 Self employed or employed is unlikely. I was on the tools for 10 years as an employed spark only once did I hit 50k in a year and I spent 8 months of it working away 7 days a week with long hours! My average was around the £28-32k mark, but I was lucky in that I had a good company i was working for and they had plenty of work and overtime if needed.

If you're working 200+ days a year, self employed on your own jobs (not agency) then its perfectly feasable to make 40k+ profit on your own within 3-4 years of starting out.
The reality is of course, that just because you've walked out of college with a bit of paper telling you you're an electrician
A:You probably wont have a clue how do actually DO domestic electrical work and
B:You arn't gonna suddenly get 100+ jobs a year appear out of thin air.

The only people I would really reccomend electrical training that doesn't come with work experience to are people who are already working in the domestic building trade and have been watching electricians at work for years aswell as having good contacts to gain future work from.

I have known at least 10 people who have spent a fortune training as electricians and ended up doing completely unrelated jobs. The vicous catch 22 is...You wont be any use to anyone without experience but if you have no experience no one will give you any work

Hi, I found some stuff saying a starting salary could be around £17,000

I have just taken on a trainee with a little bit of general power tools and building knowledge, he has done his first year at college and on the interview he was telling me all the stuff he knows and all the practical he has done and after the end of the second week yesterday I asked him what he thinks of the job?.....'well it's nothing like we done in college!'

I pay him £50 per day four days per week, and he does college on the fifth day, I have had to basically had to start from the beginning with him which if anything has only slowed me down, but I hope in a few years it will pay off

I suppose what I'm getting at is college will only get you the supplementary bits of paper you also need, becoming an electrician is mostly done out there on site

the doom and gloom of the lack of work is being felt over the majority of employment, nevermind just the building trade. Don't let that put you off. Go the recognized apprenticeship route, it is the only way to gain the relevant experience required. I would suggest sticking with an employer rather than go self employed (IMO), for the first few years after completion of apprenticeship, but that will be 3-5 years away from now before you have to make that sort of decision.

Look at the link at the link in post #5 and gauge it off the shop rate.

I started domestic and now work industrial maintenance, and is a decent wage. I've been lucky though.

good luck with what ever you chose to do

I pay him £50 per day four days per week, and he does college on the fifth day, I have had to basically had to start from the beginning with him which if anything has only slowed me down, but I hope in a few years it will pay off

Thats pretty generous! I'm pretty sure alot of bigger firms are paying that sort of figure per WEEK for trainees. Good on you though!

well yeah maybe but he is in his late 20's, its basically minimum wage

But to be honest at the end of a long hard day 1st fixing, when we're surrounded by empty cable drums, loadsa tools and rubble up to our ankles, i just say 'right clear up all the rubbish, pack up all the tools and put them in the van...oh and stick the kettle on, i need to make a phone call!

That is worth every penny of that £50!

Hi, I found some stuff saying a starting salary could be around £17,000
Could be.
Remember electricians generally work for small companies, and you get what they pay you. Purely domestic electricians mainly work as a one man band, so 'getting a job as a domestic electrician' is something of a rarity.

Despite what training centres and the media might tell you, you won't be able to retrain in a matter of months and then walk out of the training centre and get 'snapped up' by some domestic electricians company who give you a regular salary, van, tools, holiday pay, pension etc.
That simply won't happen.

Could be.
Remember electricians generally work for small companies, and you get what they pay you. Purely domestic electricians mainly work as a one man band, so 'getting a job as a domestic electrician' is something of a rarity.

Despite what training centres and the media might tell you, you won't be able to retrain in a matter of months and then walk out of the training centre and get 'snapped up' by some domestic electricians company who give you a regular salary, van, tools, holiday pay, pension etc.
That simply won't happen.

Nor will you be snapped up by any other company except possibly as a mate

JOhnboy, I hear you, guess it depends a lot on experience. Also business acumen, knowing how to charge for your services and asking a fair price. It seems everyone on here is worried about cowboy operators stealing in on the market :(

Reply to What is the salary for a domestic electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net