Discuss What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician?

• <£15 p/hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £15 - £19

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £20 - £24

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • £25 - £29

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • £30 - £34

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • £35 - £39

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • £40 - £44

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • £45 - £49

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • £50 - £54

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • £55 - £59

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • £60+

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
£50 callout minimum 1st hour and go from there, more if job entails more expertise, long travel, fault finding if 2 or 3 electricans already been there., difficult customer lol

Well, I'm a bit surprised by the results so far, not hugely, but a bit.

I thought I would be closer to the top at £45 p/hour, but there are a significant amount of people chargering higher than that.

Again, I realise this is an extremely inaccurate poll, missing out many, many factors, but it does perhaps give an indication.

So far there are 40 responders, based on that we have the following averages.

Mean average hourly rate = £41.40 - £45.40 (based on all the £60+ rates being exactly £60, so actual average is going to be a little higher)

Modal average hourly rate = £35 - £39

Median average hourly rate = £40 - £44.

As I said , I think £50 per hour would be pretty much the national average if you rang any self deployed , plumber , sparks , painter or tiler etc. Which on average would be around the £350 per day mark.

It is expensive being self employed , and you get no holiday pay and no pay if you are laid up with an injury or illness

My wife is free lance in the fitness and training industry and their rates are similar to ours yet they have significantly lower over heads then trades do

so much this....charge cheap they think you are nothing special .
Exactly , if you are cheap you come across as a bit of a chancer / diy handyman type

I had a customer (very wealthy area) wanted some downlights in the bathroom and some other lights putting up etc
I said it was about a full days work and asked if they wanted a written estimate stating my rates etc
They answered 'no , dont worry , just do the job , you came highly recommended from a friend and we will pay what ever you charge '
I was a bit taken back as they just trusted me to do the job without knowing if I was £50 ph or £250 ph , I got on with it and emailed over my bill that evening for 1 day as agreed plus materials. I did my normal rate and a tiny mark up on gear supplied.
Paid the next morning.

One petrol station in London was on social media as they were charging £1.99 for a litre of diesel this morning

All getting a bit silly now , £2 a litre is a joke imo

Government needs to cap fuel prices and quickly

From what I can make out it isn't really happening in other parts of the country at the moment but here in Cornwall a lot of people [idiots] seem to be panic buying fuel including filling extra cans ! And in places queues spill out onto roads holding up traffic,and some fuel stations close due to running out until the next delivery.
I'm assuming it's the fear/obsession of rising prices and driven by the Social Media cretins, it's very frustrating when you really need fuel to continue working.

SuperValu it certainly isn't!
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-09 at 13.07.23.jpeg

Reply to What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net