Discuss What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician?

• <£15 p/hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £15 - £19

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £20 - £24

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • £25 - £29

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • £30 - £34

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • £35 - £39

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • £40 - £44

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • £45 - £49

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • £50 - £54

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • £55 - £59

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • £60+

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So judging by this survey , it looks like the average per hourly rate is somewhere in the £40-50 ball park.
Which is about £350 per day , which I would hazard a guess is probably bang on the national average what a decent self deployed sparks should be charging.

Just had someone try knock me down on my price for the first hour, as they said the job would only take me 10 minutes…

Just had someone try knock me down on my price for the first hour, as they said the job would only take me 10 minutes…
Interesting.

Someone phoned me last night, RCD had tripped. Fridge and boiler off.
I said I couldn’t come out on a Sunday evening… had had a drink with my dinner, but I’d come Monday morning after putting off my planned job.

When I got there, it was obvious to see it was their rather large light fitting that had caused the problem… Brass thing with loads of arms, and a lamp holder on the ends…

Took it down, made the cables safe as they said they would buy a new fitting, and they could do without a ceiling light. RCD reset fine.

The customer himself last night thought one of the arms looked a bit crooked, so tried to turn it himself….. which cut through the inner insulation of the flex which was showing at the top of the fitting…. Wish I’d taken a photo now.

Which brings me to a dilemma.
Do I charge my usual 35 an hour, which covers my travelling there and back, or up it to 50…. As it was putting off another job this morning?
I will be asked back to put up the new fitting, no doubt.

Interesting.

I said I couldn’t come out on a Sunday evening… had had a drink with my dinner, but I’d come Monday morning after putting off my planned job.

When I got there, it was obvious to see it was their rather large light fitting that had caused the problem… Brass thing with loads of arms, and a lamp holder on the ends…

Took it down, made the cables safe as they said they would buy a new fitting, and they could do without a ceiling light. RCD reset fine.

The customer himself last night thought one of the arms looked a bit crooked, so tried to turn it himself….. which cut through the inner insulation of the flex which was showing at the top of the fitting…. Wish I’d taken a photo now.

Do I charge my usual 35 an hour, which covers my travelling there and back, or up it to 50…. As it was putting off another job this morning?

I suppose it all depends on what you’re happy with, and can charge up there?

Like you said, you’ll likely get return business from him and he’ll no doubt recommend you to others.

So judging by this survey , it looks like the average per hourly rate is somewhere in the £40-50 ball park.
Which is about £350 per day , which I would hazard a guess is probably bang on the national average what a decent self deployed sparks should be charging.
It would be interesting to see what the averages are more locally, but I suspect this wouldn't be easy to find out.

I went up a bit to £40. New customer, doesn’t know what I was previously, and I can introduce the 40 to other jobs as I go.

I think £40-50 per hour is pretty much a 'standard' pricing for trades especially in the SE , possibly £60-90 the nearer you approach London
£I think £40-50 per hour is pretty much a 'standard' pricing for trades especially in the SE , possibly £60-90 the nearer you approach Londo

In Surrey £50 per hour is an 'easy sell' to old and new customers in my area , plumbers , sparks , gardeners , painters will all quote this kind of hourly figure. Infact if you quoted less, imo people would get suspicious that you are 'too cheap' and not very good

I only do small jobs, so it's either £50, or £100 depending on the time involved. If it's an all-day job it's £50/hour...but charity jobs are FOC for lamp replacement or very minor fixes. Most of those jobs the clients make a donation to the charity. I'm in a different position to most as I don't have to work daily, but I get no complaints if I charge £100 to put in a new socket etc. The folks round here are well-off.

Interesting.

So I do a strange thing which I have not seen people do, I charge for normal hours at least £35 per hour but have a minimum charger of £60, so if I am there 10mins its £60, if I am there 2hrs its £70, rather than a higher first hour rate. If I am there only 10mins then I normally say ill knock it down to £50 which customer tend to like...

Roofers seem to be charging around £80 to fix one roof times, they seem to be just sticking them back on with some kind of adhesive in a tube... My neighbour had to call out someone to clear their drains, £120+VAT took the guy less than an hour..

I find people seem to recognise a minimum fee better than a higher first hour fee, don't know why but it works for me..

So I do a strange thing which I have not seen people do, I charge for normal hours at least £35 per hour but have a minimum charger of £60, so if I am there 10mins its £60, if I am there 2hrs its £70, rather than a higher first hour rate. If I am there only 10mins then I normally say ill knock it down to £50 which customer tend to like...

Roofers seem to be charging around £80 to fix one roof times, they seem to be just sticking them back on with some kind of adhesive in a tube... My neighbour had to call out someone to clear their drains, £120+VAT took the guy less than an hour..

I find people seem to recognise a minimum fee better than a higher first hour fee, don't know why but it works for me..
The initial call out charge must be made .Its NOT the time on the Job .Its making yourself available for that time . I have once had a car pick me up as I was on the wrong side of 1 x bottle of wine. But I still got stuck in and helped the customer resolve a crisis at 2 am . he paid me £250 cash for 3 hours work and we have always been cool about things .

Reply to What is your hourly rate as a self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net