Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss What power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Craig1982

Craig1982 Guest

I am just starting to get some tools together, I have alot of hand tools and a few power tools but was just interested to see what power tools other people have and which get used most/least and battery or corded? I could go crazy and buy loads of power tools but her indoors wont be to happy!!!

2. supasparxs

supasparxs Electrician's Arms

ok here's the plant I have

110v Devalt 5KG SDS drill/breaker
    110v Ryiobi SDS drill
    240v Borsche SDS Drill
    240v Wall chaser
    2 x 24v Panasonic drills (one semi retired only comes out when need subbies to use a sds cordless)
    15.6v Panasonic drill driver
    15.6v Panasonic drill / Impact driver
    15.6v Panasonic Metal cutter
    110v transformer
    415v transformer
    4 x 110v em florescent temp lights
    16x 110v florescent temp light

I would recommend you start with a SDS cordless drill to start with and then a drill driver

I tend to use my cordless plant. if I'm drilling thru a thick or hard wall I'll use the big dewalt drill

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    better to buy a few good tools than a lot of cheap crap.

you need , in order of priority, ( IMO )

1. 240V or 110V rotary stop SDS drill

2. 18V dewalt or similar drill/driver

3. cordless SDS drill

4. corded or cordless circular saw

5. wall chaser

6. now you can start fantasising about fein multi tool, cordless angle grinders, inspection cameras, and the like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jase

jase Electrician's Arms

I just buy em as i need em and probably whatever deal is on at screwfix at the time, my hitachi 110v sds was a good buy tho, got a real torque to it a solid blows per min when on rotary stop, great for chisselling walls.

5. Craig1982

Craig1982 Guest

Cheers for the replys, I am going to buy alot of things as and when I need them. I have a little cash buring a hole in my pocket so I think I will go for a SDS and 18v drill, now to see what deals are on :sunny:

6. supasparxs

supasparxs Electrician's Arms

none of my battery plant is Li-ion,
    if I was buying new or replacing mine, I would be looking a Li-ion plant

• Like Like x 1
  7. jase

jase Electrician's Arms

me too my old ni-cads are holding charge less and less, also alot of peeps i know are using impact drivers these days and they do seem to be the nuts

8. La Poste

La Poste Electrician's Arms

What do you use impact drivers for when doing electrical work?

My Makita Ni-cad has just about had it, Ni-cad batteries do not last long IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  9. D80

D80 Guest

Depends where most of your work is - if house bashing a Wall Chaser, Good vacuum, Rip Saw (Circular saw), Kango are vital - but will be near useless in industrial. A good cordless SDS drill is a must.
    Some items I have are cheap and nasty (The rip saw is a £30 effort, but generally only used on floorboards).

10. D80

D80 Guest

Can get decent replacement batteries from flea bay - non branded mind! My little dewalt combi batteries gave up the ghost after about 5 years, 2 replacement batteries are still going strong after 2 years.

11. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    For cordless tools, try to decide on a range and stick to it. Then you can use existing batteries and charger on body-only tools later. I've used Makita 18V Li-ion for the last couple of years; very pleased with them.

Cordless SDS is great for cable holes and fixings in tough brickwork. Also with a chisel bit for chasing.

12. alarm man

alarm man Guest

240v drills!!,were not even allowed 110v,cordless or nothing for us..

13. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

I know Ukranian soup is thick, but I didn't realise you needed a special drill to mix it!:joker:

• Like Like x 3
  14. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Ahhhh! Beat me to it! Thought I'd spotted a gem
    !

15. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Ps i've got a real cheap mains circ saw, BUT it has a very nice (new) blade so is great.

• Like Like x 1