Discuss What size your CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

jibjob

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to install a some lighting & sockets in a lean too come garage come workshop type of thing. I was going to do it in PVC conduit & make a proper job of it rather than surface clip T&E all over the place. I haven't done much in the way of circuit installation using this method, I'm planning to do lights in 1.5mm singles & sockets in 2.5mm. I was thinking of doing the socket radial CPC in 1.5mm, any of you guys do this or would you stick to same size CPC as L&N? Thought as it's a small install, 5 sockets max on 16a MCB it would be a cost effective use of 100m drum of 1.5mm G&Y.

Me personally I would stick to the same size as l and n if using singles but I'm sure it would still be OK if you use 1.5 CPC as that's what they use in twin and CPC cable

The smallest size of a CPC if not an integral part of a cable is 2.5mm, I will look the reg up in a while.

edit: reg number 543.1.1, but there may be an exception see part (V) of that reg, there is a bit of a contradiction as below that it states that it shall be no less than 2.5mm if mechanically protected.

Typical bloody regs, lol

Last edited:
lol see above Trev, I only know of that reg due to the 4mm requirement of adding seperate CPCs where not mechanically protected.

The smallest size of a CPC if not an integral part of a cable is 2.5mm, I will look the reg up in a while.

edit: reg number 543.1.1, but there may be an exception see part (V) of that reg, there is a bit of a contradiction as below that it states that it shall be no less than 2.5mm if mechanically protected.

Typical bloody regs, lol

Last edited:

Typical bloody regs, lol

Surely 543.1.1 (v) allows the use of 1.5mm² cpc in PVC conduit (which is the case for the OP)?

Certainly for a lighting circuit.

Keep reading a bit further down lol

It contradicts itself

Does it? If so, I can't see it.
Surely, you need to read the paragraph as a whole:

If the protective conductor:

(iii) is not an integral part of the cable, or

(iv) is not formed by conduit, ducting or trunking, or

(v) is not contained in an enclosure formed by a wiring system,

the cross-sectional area shall be not less than 2.5mm² copper equivalent if protection against mechanical damage is provided, and 4mm² copper equivalent if mechanical protection is not provided...

ie, if the cpc is in a cable, or in conduit or formed from metallic containment, the 2.5mm² minimum doesn't apply.

I would say the opposite applies,

That 2.5mm is the minimum size, however on larger CSA live cables then a smaller csa CPC may be used to a minimum of 2.5mm subject to adiabatic etc. subject to the other conditions of that reg.

Besides the smallest size I stock is 2.5mm (smiley)

Agree about metallic containment btw.

Edit: that is what I meant about "typical bloody regs", it is either minimum 2.5mm with mechanical protection or it is contradictory by allowing a smaller size in containment (which is mechanical protection),lol

Last edited:
Hi,
Wired a small workshop a while ago for a friend, did all the rings and lighting in 2.5 singles; one size no messing about with different sizes or running out of this or that.

Regards.

Typical bloody regs, lol
Why do they make 1.5mm2 Green and yellow then?

Reply to What size your CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net