Discuss What sort of prices should I be charging? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If anyone self-employed earns less than £50-£60k then I cannot see the point.
Yup sparks around here earn 30k-35K basic without OT, Good ones (Great ones lol) like me are at 50K Plus, so 50-60K self employed is about right, up north it will be less, and London more I suspect

If anyone self-employed earns less than £50-£60k then I cannot see the point.
Yup sparks around here earn 30k-35K basic without OT, Good ones (Great ones lol) like me are at 50K Plus, so 50-60K self employed is about right, up north it will be less, and London more I suspect
Which planet are you on?

Can't imagine many SE people on here have earns of this level and looking at some of the jobs that people see advertised, being employed won't yield much either!

25 quid an hour self emplyed isn't unusual around here

Which planet are you on?

Can't imagine many SE people on here have earns of this level and looking at some of the jobs that people see advertised, being employed won't yield much either!

A quick look on-line and managers jobs are at least £50k and that is far from London. In London it is around the £80k mark.

To not have to worry about where the next job is coming from or HMRC and needing to always have your phone on you needs to pay.

A quick look on-line and managers jobs are at least £50k and that is far from London. In London it is around the £80k mark.

To not have to worry about where the next job is coming from or HMRC and needing to always have your phone on you needs to pay.

I thought we were talking about sparking ..................

i only do 2 - 3 days a week these days. keeps the mobile phone on and the van on the road. anythings better than watching jeremy kyle and loose women on the idiot box.

Going rate around my way is 200-240 a day. I’ve just done a rewire and priced per point when I quoted. I’ve just worked out the man hours It took and it equates to earning £293 a day or £36.62 an hour. I very rarely work out materials and labour when pricing. I stick to my trusty spread sheet of prices per point and this is probably what works in my favor....As most of my work is for builders/developers I’m pretty much guaranteed the work if they win it so not really competing. When it comes to private customers I would say I win 75-80% of what I quote but would say my company image and approach attracts the sort of customer I’m after. I’m not interested in competing with the prices of some of the bottom feeders around here.

Last edited:
If some of the sparks on this forum are earning some of the figures being bounded about they should be mortgage free living in a reasonable size house and in a nice area, living a decent life style with two good holidays a year by the age of 40 years old or if not a lot sooner I would imagine.
Good Luck to them if they are.

If some of the sparks on this forum are earning some of the figures being bounded about they should be mortgage free living in a reasonable size house and in a nice area, living a decent life style with two good holidays a year by the age of 40 years old or if not a lot sooner I would imagine.
Good Luck to them if they are.

What planet are you on? Do you have kids

£110K mortgage
2 kids (eldest just started work & daughter going to uni next year so that's about £125 per week for her we have to find)
no fancy holidays
wife works as a midwife (so very well paid)

We don't have much money to spare

I'm avoiding VAT registration as long as possible, hate the idea of charging 20% more on labour and being less competitive and an unpaid tax collector. But I gather the turnover for having to register is based on ANY consecutive 12 month period so you could drift into it quite easily.

I'm avoiding VAT registration as long as possible, hate the idea of charging 20% more on labour and being less competitive and an unpaid tax collector. But I gather the turnover for having to register is based on ANY consecutive 12 month period so you could drift into it quite easily.

That's exactly right ............ you can't decide what the 12 months are but HMRC can ........... to suit them

I can't see how anyone can employ somebody and not be VAT registered

What planet are you on? Do you have kids

£110K mortgage
2 kids (eldest just started work & daughter going to uni next year so that's about £125 per week for her we have to find)
no fancy holidays
wife works as a midwife (so very well paid)

We don't have much money to spare

I'm not on about you I'm just refering to the 50/60k a year, that's a lot of money to earn for one man band.

My son is 19 now and costing me around £1300 a month with wages and training fees, but obviously he's getting more useful too.
With all the overheads all I do is make a living, the business account ends up about the same every month after all the bills are paid, low. :)

Reply to What sort of prices should I be charging? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net