Discuss What van to buy as a newbie in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan Carroll

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm new to all this and starting my 2365 soon, but in the mean time and to help fund the course I'm selling my car. So I might as well replace it with a van.

Thing is this won't just be a work van. I still need to be able to carry my two kids around. So is need a crew cab/kombi. And I'd prefer isofix in the back.

Feel free to call me an idiot, but I'm tempted to get a camper and then fettle it a bit. Put the rock and roll bed on rails so it can be either at the front or back and make more space inside. Then it can be used as a work van or a family day van.

Do any of you drive a van that you use for every day family life?

Any advice welcome

I got a little Citroen Berlingo. It has 3 seats across the front, but nothing in the back (I think its an option though.)
The passenger seats are fine for 2 of my skinny daughters, but wouldn't work with booster seats.

Tuk-tuk_in_Vientiane_02.jpg
these are great little run round ,you will be able to get you kids no problem and your extended family plus all to tools you can carry ,petrol's not bad neither .:D

I would avoid Citreon and peugeot at all costs, never had a good one yet, get a ford transit and fit a bench seat in the back for the kids, I have had a couple and they just last and last, alternatively get a nissan 4x4 with a double cab and rear box, it will take the kids and will hold lots of kit.

I did say to call me one

I was planing on avoiding them as well to be fair. Thinking either a transit, vito or transporter. Although I'm not paying the premium for a vw.
Transits do get bad press, but I loved mine, it was the best van I ever had, loads of room and it is easy to fit a back seat, if you look after it then it will last for years, JMO

Transits do get bad press, but I loved mine, it was the best van I ever had, loads of room and it is easy to fit a back seat, if you look after it then it will last for years, JMO
Only thing that put me off a transit was the lock picks fro sale on ebay, you need the extra locks put on after you get it, otherwise for £20 some thief can unlock and empty the van in seconds

Only thing that put me off a transit was the lock picks fro sale on ebay, you need the extra locks put on after you get it, otherwise for £20 some thief can unlock and empty the van in seconds
Yup definately add padlocks, you are right there fella.

Transit custom with crew seats in back....hope you've got a nice car....vans aren't cheap:)

Love transits, had mine 11yrs, still going strong, will be replacing with another when it finally dies!

Reply to What van to buy as a newbie in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net