Discuss What's your plan for the 18th in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nothing on the 18th but 27th going out with Camerabloke and Anthony Bragg for a Rinky Dink Buffet, apparently

I'll be offering free training on my YouTube channel, I've already gone through the draft on there.

There are some changes from the draft already 'leaked' and I will be getting early access to BS 7671:2018 so will be able to create some final release 18th edition content ahead of time ready for launch.
(If you are wondering how I will get earlier access, I have been approached to comment and contribute to some publications being created/amended for the 18th and so therefore need to be provided with the publication ahead of time to work with, I have part of it already - can't say any more)

On my website - due to launch around April/May - I will host the YouTube material as well (which I will need to do so I can track how many hours you put in via a login), some mock assessments and a final assessment to the structure of the new City and Guilds assessment. Whilst we can't deliver and submit a final assessment to City and Guilds via e-learning, we can provide a digital certificate detailing the criteria and outcomes assessed, and the Centre number of the City and Guilds registered training centre that has provided your training.
With the certificate you get from that you will have evidence of training (the hours) and pre-assessment.

All of this is free so far.

With this you can go around the country to training centres that offer the exam only and have this cert at hand as proof of training.

I will also offer the full course with City and Guilds exam myself, and travel around the country delivering official assessments in premier inn meeting rooms, on sites or similar - naturally with City and Guild fee's and costs etc then there would be a cost to this, but hopefully a low one.

Of course for some people attending three day courses in front of a tutor is best, and I strongly recommend that. Unfortunatley though everyone will be offering training online - most often a bit of a ppt presentation and then 30 question papers, which is just crap.

Fundamentally though, my intention isn't to corner the 18th edition market or anything - as I say, I recommend going on a 3 day course. My intention is to give electricians a break and offer as affordable a solution as possible.

Just subscribe to my YouTube channel and the content will come soon - SparkyNinja - https://www.youtube.com/sparkyninja?sub_confirmation=1

or check it out first and see what you think..

I'll be offering free training on my YouTube channel, I've already gone through the draft on there.

There are some changes from the draft already 'leaked' and I will be getting early access to BS 7671:2018 so will be able to create some final release 18th edition content ahead of time ready for launch.
(If you are wondering how I will get earlier access, I have been approached to comment and contribute to some publications being created/amended for the 18th and so therefore need to be provided with the publication ahead of time to work with, I have part of it already - can't say any more)

On my website - due to launch around April/May - I will host the YouTube material as well (which I will need to do so I can track how many hours you put in via a login), some mock assessments and a final assessment to the structure of the new City and Guilds assessment. Whilst we can't deliver and submit a final assessment to City and Guilds via e-learning, we can provide a digital certificate detailing the criteria and outcomes assessed, and the Centre number of the City and Guilds registered training centre that has provided your training.
With the certificate you get from that you will have evidence of training (the hours) and pre-assessment.

All of this is free so far.

With this you can go around the country to training centres that offer the exam only and have this cert at hand as proof of training.

I will also offer the full course with City and Guilds exam myself, and travel around the country delivering official assessments in premier inn meeting rooms, on sites or similar - naturally with City and Guild fee's and costs etc then there would be a cost to this, but hopefully a low one.

Of course for some people attending three day courses in front of a tutor is best, and I strongly recommend that. Unfortunatley though everyone will be offering training online - most often a bit of a ppt presentation and then 30 question papers, which is just crap.

Fundamentally though, my intention isn't to corner the 18th edition market or anything - as I say, I recommend going on a 3 day course. My intention is to give electricians a break and offer as affordable a solution as possible.

Just subscribe to my YouTube channel and the content will come soon - SparkyNinja - https://www.youtube.com/sparkyninja?sub_confirmation=1

or check it out first and see what you think..

Update on this..

What I don’t understand, is why we can’t just take the exam without first having proof of training?
I did my 17th just by paying a local college £30 for the exam.
Ended up doing the 2 hour exam even though I had my 16th edition update, just because that was the college’s next exam.

What I don’t understand, is why we can’t just take the exam without first having proof of training?
I did my 17th just by paying a local college £30 for the exam.
Ended up doing the 2 hour exam even though I had my 16th edition update, just because that was the college’s next exam.
You can if the accredited centre is happy. They have to collect evidence of sufficient 'recognised prior learning' (RPL) to determine if you are suitable for assessment. The regulatory bodies that City and Guilds and similar have to create the qualification to has announced a total of 40 hours total qualification time.. and that's it. Any decisions to come down from that is in the heads of the training provider - most of whome have taken the approach of saying you MUST do a 3 day or you MUST do a 1 day.

I personally didn't do any extra training and just carried out my own CPD all the way through the Public Draft, JPEL64 release and then the final release. I sat the exam on the 3rd July through an exam only method and got 100%..

Reply to What's your plan for the 18th in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net