Discuss When to upgrade the fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MalcolmS

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,
I look into my electrical cabinet and wondering what are the reasons or when to consider some upgrades. It looks dated.
The system last time has been checked in 2018. I can summon an electrician to check it but I could also ask him to make some upgrades.
I don't expect all the devices at home to draw more than 400W consistently.
My smart meter is showing constant 200W which is 2 computers and peripherals.

If you could suggest anything that would be great.
Best regards

Attachments

• electric.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 92
  • electricbox.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 91
I look into my electrical cabinet and wondering what are the reasons or when to consider some upgrades. It looks dated.

You are going to get different answers from different electricians.
All your circuits are protected by RCD except for the lights. If you add a light that needs an RCD then this will need looking at.
Why not get an EICR done and see what the report says. You can get a different electrician in to do any remedial work if you want.

The system last time has been checked in 2018. I can summon an electrician to check it but I could also ask him to make some upgrades.

What upgrades are you after?

You could change the whole CU to a modern one. This will make things safer. Is it required??? Who knows. The report will clear things up more.

EICR done first . That old board might accept small issues down the line.But strapping a new RCBO board on might show a lot of issues which would need sorting out to stop the new board from tripping

You are going to get different answers from different electricians.
All your circuits are protected by RCD except for the lights. If you add a light that needs an RCD then this will need looking at.
Why not get an EICR done and see what the report says. You can get a different electrician in to do any remedial work if you want.

What upgrades are you after?

You could change the whole CU to a modern one. This will make things safer. Is it required??? Who knows. The report will clear things up more.

By lights that require RCD do you mean these ceiling lights that heat up pretty much?
I don't think I will be installing those. I think this can be substituted with some less power hungry LED ligths e.g. in the kitchen.

In terms of upgrades I am not sure. Since I have a lot of electronics I would want to last longer maybe some proper surge protection so I don't have to use these surge protectors at the socket level?

Provide it's in good condition and the RCD tests OK (proper test -not just the button) then that CU is fins for further use. The build quality of its components far exceeds that of what's available today.
The lack of RCD protection for the two lighting circuits can be addressed, if required, by the addition of a small additional enclosure fitted with a couple of RCDs.

By lights that require RCD do you mean these ceiling lights that heat up pretty much?
I don't think I will be installing those. I think this can be substituted with some less power hungry LED ligths e.g. in the kitchen.
Replacing lights with LED is a very good idea generally, will cost you less and less heat damage with time.
In terms of upgrades I am not sure. Since I have a lot of electronics I would want to last longer maybe some proper surge protection so I don't have to use these surge protectors at the socket level?
Certainly any new CU should have surge protection built in, and it would typically have separate RCBO for each circuit (at least, most folks on here would recommend that, and for the few circuits you have the cost difference will be small) so you should get a lower risk of false trips. Also it might negate the need for that Powerbreaker RCD FCU to the left of it.

But before doing that get an EICR done and they can check for any issues that might complicate things. Usual issue with going to RCD protection on lights is discovering a "borrowed neutral" between upstairs and downstairs light circuit, that is dangerous and needs addressing if present.

The electrician has visited and it would be good and stay as it is unless I decided to install an electric shower.
So I need to upgrade the consumer unit to have space for new fuse(s).

right but this would have to go outside the cabinet because there is no space left right of the unit

So would a longer consumer unit not then clash with the side of the cabinet?
Your pic doesn't show the whole cabinet.

This is the whole cabinet. The electrician has said that a bigger fuse box can fit in.
I am just not sure if I want to upgrade the consumer unit at this moment of time which will be £600-700.
I mean installing another smaller box outside the cabinet will also cost but perhaps it makes more sense at this time. In any case this seems to be a blocked to get the electric shower installed.
I reckon in couple of years the requirements will change anyway as I want to electrify the backyard. Electric sockets in the shed, garden lights but there is no shed as of yet.
But then I will have to make the cabinet bigger anyway and perhaps even get more space for PV equipment.

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 22
The FCU above your CU, and the RCD to the left will probably be gone when a new CU is fitted, so there's more space available than just the footprint of it now.
A matter of measuring the space and checking manufacturer's specifications to see if any will fit.

This is the whole cabinet. The electrician has said that a bigger fuse box can fit in.
I am just not sure if I want to upgrade the consumer unit at this moment of time which will be £600-700.
I mean installing another smaller box outside the cabinet will also cost but perhaps it makes more sense at this time. In any case this seems to be a blocked to get the electric shower installed.
I reckon in couple of years the requirements will change anyway as I want to electrify the backyard. Electric sockets in the shed, garden lights but there is no shed as of yet.
But then I will have to make the cabinet bigger anyway and perhaps even get more space for PV equipment.
They will change in a couple of years, and will continue to change every couple of years continuously thereafter. Regulations and rules will always be updated.

Reply to When to upgrade the fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net