Search the forum,

Discuss Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest77

Just wondering after seeing a few threads of late regarding them, I am aware it is a gold card today, out of interest who has a grade card of somekind? post up what you have, lets see how many on the forum is actually a card holder, just out of interest, it doesn't mean much, I know several brilliant sparks who never even did an apprenticeship, they are retired now though.

I will start, I am a JIB gold card holder with Site Technician stamped on mine, next please.

I have a approved card, but they are funny about giving me a tech card as im lacking references which they seem quite strict on, difficult as previously i was self employed.

I really dont get all the negativity around the JIB card if you have the quals its a small out lay that can open many doors.

I have a approved card, but they are funny about giving me a tech card as im lacking references which they seem quite strict on, difficult as previously i was self employed.

I really dont get all the negativity around the JIB card if you have the quals its a small out lay that can open many doors.
Yes it can be tough, there are 2 routes, you need the design course qualification or written references, they don't hand that grade out to just anyone these days. Without contradicting myself though there are a lot of sparks around who are easily capable of having one but they never did apprenticeships or took the right courses, they may be tough to get but it is a bit of a joke really lol, so far out of 7 people on here 3 have a card and 4 do not, all are sparks, it will be tough to get a single register of competance won't it lol

No negativity from here, if mr elecsa and mrs niceic started asking for a gold card lots of people like the Electrical Trainee would be caught out, but at the same time some of us would be forced into £500 odd for nvq 3 and god know how much for am2 and it goes on and on!! Until i need one i wont be bothering again

Yes it can be tough, there are 2 routes, you need the design course qualification or written references, they don't hand that grade out to just anyone these days. Without contradicting myself though there are a lot of sparks around who are easily capable of having one but they never did apprenticeships or took the right courses, they may be tough to get but it is a bit of a joke really lol, so far out of 7 people on here 3 have a card and 4 do not, all are sparks, it will be tough to get a single register of competance won't it lol

I wouldnt want them to hand it to anyone, and besides im far from anyone :cowboy:

Got the design course and nearly every other C&G and way better than they require H&S but they cant seem to get round previous employer reference as i dont have one! currently employed but its a bit un related so not sure what a reference from them would be worth, asked if the tutor from all the c&gs could give me a reference and they didnt like it. Its been on the back burner for a while will get round to sorting it out it wont be that hard with a letter sent to them explaining all.

I find it amusing that people moan about the Electrical Trainee and the scams taking anyone on. Yet the only standard which is in place and stands rigorously by that again people moan because they can't get a certain grade.

That's not a pop at anyone in particular, more just a observation.

I don't know what the equivalent is now of the old C course that was on offer years ago , or whats involved , Ive got the 2391 but I think its part of it , shows how long its been since I looked , I don't even know what all these new course numbers are these days ...

No negativity from here, if mr elecsa and mrs niceic started asking for a gold card lots of people like the Electrical Trainee would be caught out, but at the same time some of us would be forced into £500 odd for nvq 3 and god know how much for am2 and it goes on and on!! Until i need one i wont be bothering again

Theres so much moaning on here and in industry in general about Electrical Trainee and then theres the JIB seeming to stand up in a small way to the downward spiral and they still get knocked. Yes people will get caught out, but if you are experienced and working in the industry a nvq3 will be a doddle, the money is a investment in yourself and your CV, after all if you dont have a NVQ3 you must hve done your quals a fair time ago, surely being a electrician merits spending that money on modernising your quals.

I have a gold card that says I am an electrician. Well... it sort of expired a year ago and I won't be renewing it until such time as I feel I need it.
I used to work for a JIB company until redundancy and then self employment came about, which is why I had one, and why I don't need one now.

Theres so much moaning on here and in industry in general about Electrical Trainee and then theres the JIB seeming to stand up in a small way to the downward spiral and they still get knocked. Yes people will get caught out, but if you are experienced and working in the industry a nvq3 will be a doddle, the money is a investment in yourself and your CV, after all if you dont have a NVQ3 you must hve done your quals a fair time ago, surely being a electrician merits spending that money on modernising your quals.
I started early eighties and got my NVQ3 no problem, I got mine by sending my A,B and C certs to someone in the early 90s, they then sent me my certificate, I think back then A,B and C was the standard, I have no idea what is the standard today.

Reply to Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back