Search the forum,

Discuss Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im all for the JIB standing up and setting the standards, tougher the better, when it becomes a must have item it will catch me out and a great deal of others!! If i have to get one to continue trading then ill do whats required

Its well worth keeping it up to date , I think its easy not to because you have to do the ECS test every 2 years and you need that to renew your card every 2 years ..

did enquire once. told the lass my quals. "is HND same as nvq3", she asks. "no, it's equivalent to nvq4 or 5 " i says. " not on the list. might give you trainee" was the reply.

MJD pretty much the same but as there is no C course its just the design course and 17th i believe along with the usual 2360, now you alos need a H&S qual although a nvq3 does give you a couple of years grace. The references is the hard bit if self employed. Im not that fussed im employed as a technician, and hopefully the IET will agree with that when i get round to that aswel as my employer can help with that.

So can it be said from the early 80s a nvq3 was available to those willing/sponsored to do so.

Its well worth keeping it up to date , I think its easy not to because you have to do the ECS test every 2 years and you need that to renew your card every 2 years ..
I agree, my view is I earned my card, I let it lapse once, never again, I went down to Bristol last year and took the CSCS exam and re-applied to get my gold card, I don't need a card and never will, but pride makes me want to have what I earned in my wallet, I will always keep an up to date JIB card with me from now on, I will retake the CSCS every 2 years and never let it lapse again, I am proud of my card, even though there are thousands of better sparks than me without one.

Installation Technician on mine, I always keep it in date if I need it or not, it's the standard s far as I'm concerned hard enough to get, so to me worth keeping in date

did enquire once. told the lass my quals. "is HND same as nvq3", she asks. "no, it's equivalent to nvq4 or 5 " i says. " not on the list. might give you trainee" was the reply.

The nvq3 is on job training/experience which i believe is the part they want to see you can prove. Although i understand the HNC is a far higher level of education (i sat a entry exam for the course once and it was tough) does it actually require you to prove / show any experience?

Its easy to let it lapse when your busy and haven't got the time to do that test every 2 years , I didn't really realise how respected it is , i never needed it when doing my own work until I went on a site and had an induction and the guy asked for the ESCS card and I pulled it out (the card that is HA Ha) and it was passed round the room and shown to the Guvners...

Its easy to let it lapse when your busy and haven't got the time to do that test every 2 years , I didn't really realise how respected it is , i never needed it when doing my own work until I went on a site and had an induction and the guy asked for the ESCS card and I pulled it out (the card that is HA Ha) and it was passed round the room and shown to the Guvners...

how old was it?

I ran a site in the 80s for a DNO doing riser renewals and we had agency guys from ESCA , I had never heard of them before , I asked the guys bout them and they said it was a union based agency , haven't come across them since . do they still exist , the guys were real good at containment ..

Reply to Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock