Discuss Why are the Planets almost round? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Go on take the Mick not bothered, I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and started watching some NASA documentary's, one described how some Scientists reasoned that the Earth and the Moon, along with other planets within our Solar System, were created by giant collisions millenniums ago, so to my question, how come Planets areas near spherical as you can get for something as big as they are, surely if they were created by collisions they would be ragged in appearance, but most appear to be spherical, what do you all reckon? A bit deep for an early morning thread, but hey ho.

While you were watching that Pete I spent the hour watching a documentary about James Clerk Maxwell & electromagnetism

You should download the series called ‘one strange rock’
10 part documentary narrated by will smith but with astronoughts giving the scientific facts about various different subjects.

The earth bulges at the equator , and the moon is un-even enough to always be pointing the same way towards us, due to gravity (Displaced c-o-g )
... Dark side of moon moment.
Gravity and the efficiency of maths - smallest volume is a sphere.
..Random thought= Solder Balls..

A little interesting fact for you,

The "gas" giant Jupiter has a layer of hydrogen & helium gas which is so dense under the immense pressure that it has formed an ocean of liquid metal.
The giant red spot is an immense storm in the atmosphere that they believe has been raging for hundreds-thousands of years. The spot is larger than the Earth!
upload_2018-8-14_11-7-38.jpeg

In answer to Pete, in layman's terms, mass is always attracted to the centre of gravity. At some point the surface tension will give up under the immense pressure from the weight of the mass so the object settles into a sphere because that is the only natural shape where any point on the surface becomes roughly equidistant from the centre of gravity.
Hydrostatic Equilibrium:
In astrophysical terms, hydrostatic equilibrium refers to the state where there is a balance between the outward thermal pressure from inside a planet and the weight of the material pressing inward. This state occurs once an object (a star, planet, or planetoid) becomes so massive that the force of gravity they exert causes them to collapse into the most efficient shape – a sphere.

Typically, objects reach this point once they exceed a diameter of 1,000 km (621 mi), though this depends on their density as well

Last edited:
i've watched a few episodes of "Drain the Oceans". I wonder how well their wet/dry vax will work with a wall chaser.probably suck all that nasty dot&dab away into outer space where it should be.

Is Mouton not the French word for sheep

I'm confused now.... So instead of this flat Earth being carried by a turtle it is actually being carried by a sheep???

The moon is always pointing its one side to us because it turns one revolution in the same time as it takes to orbit the earth

The really cool and handy coincidence is that the moon is 240 times smaller than the sun but is 240 times closer
Anyone like watching a total eclipse

how do you watch a total eclipse? it's bloody dark.

now I will throw a spanner in the works ,if this planet was mouton rock to hot and cooled down .where do the water come in to it .now think about it .
Hi Buzz, in what sense are you asking?
matter tends to come in 3 basic forms - gas, liquid and solid. Water (H2O) can be found naturally occurring on earth in all 3 states, steam, water, ice. Water forms when 2 hydrogen gas molecules interact with 1 oxygen molecule within in the right environmental conditions, hence H2O.
One of the things scientists look for on other worlds in and beyond our solar system is the signs of water, preferably liquid water because it appears that it is essential for life as we know it to exist. meaning there could be a possibility of life forming there - E.T :)

and bung some carbon in with the hydrogen and oxygen, shaken , not strirred, and you have life. so it's back to fish again.

which leads to the question:
Q. what do you call a fish without an eye?

A.FSH.

and planets are not different colours. they just reflect different wavelengths.

Reply to Why are the Planets almost round? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock