Discuss Why is my battery not charging in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sean gould

Hello all,wondered if you skilled electrical blokes can shed some light on my dilema.I have a childs electric scooter 12 volt and 100w motor.It had a 12v 9ah battery on it,but got old and flat.Got a new np7-12 ultramax 12 volt 7ah battery to replace it (cheaper)! connected it to scooter and then tried to charge up.But charger has green light saying fully charged.(charger says,230v 50/60hz .5a,output 14.4volt 0-0.8amp)(set at 0.8 amp),this charger was for the old 12v 9ah battery.Long and short of it is the scooter is dead and no charge in new battery.Hope you can help.sean

This might not be a bad place to ask as there are some very good people on here,but if you know of the make/model try the manufacturer as well,see what they might say,the fact that you say the second battery is dead makes me think the motor might have given up,why not pop the battery into a kwik fit or similar maybe they can check it for free to see if its holding charge,if so all points to the motor or something else on the scooter,some chargers have different polarity on them so the charger might not work with that battery,as said diificult to guess it on here.i would not try stripping it down or anything because as you know anyform of electrics can be dangerous,batteries included.good luck

see if you can measure the charging/output volts on the charger when battery is connected. may be the charger is duff.

charger is fine as tried on old battery and still gives it a bit of charge but battery is as good as dead.motor still works fine.Is it because the new 12v battery is 7ah and not 9ah????

Reply to Why is my battery not charging in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net