• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted anyone's views on why electricians prices are so different, had a few quotes for wiring in a kitchen, quotes came in at:

£1200
£950 (reduced to £850 when I questioned it)
£460

Went with the £460, did a great job, safety certificate the lot. I know none of you will have seen the job in question but how do people quote up for jobs and why the vast difference?

Depends on the specification and work entailed, I have done very simple kitchen fits for the low price and for well over the top price.
Depends on business model and overheads which are different for each company.
Depends on the materials used. There are sometimes quite large differences in price and also quality.
There also some electricians that are great at their job but useless at business and work for peanuts.

Rip off Merchant trying it on
Hoping to con you
Got a pic of the certificate we can have a look at? what was the extent of the work, how many sockets, lights, cooker points, bonding OK? was rge Bloke that won the work a CP Scheme member ( NICEIC, NAPIT etc) any part P notification to LABC?

Oh, I've also seen a cheap kitchen fit where the certificate was bogus, all the results were invented, and none of the basic safety requirements were added but later needed to be at a cost of several hundreds extra.

Steve you need to come back with some answers to the questions asked and then maybe the guys can give you a few answers, pictures are also useful.

There's no set rates for electrical work (or any other building work), just as there could have been different costs involved. There's no saying they were even quoting for exactly the same work to be done.

Each of the electricians would have been a separate business; it could be that you've got a bargain, or it could be you get what you pay for.

What is certain is that if something goes wrong you'll have to go back to the electrician who you paid - you can't decide you've lost faith in them and expect someone else to come along and pick up the pieces for free.

Thanks for the replies, the work consisted of:

-Move a couple of light switch down 10 cm.
-Move power socket behind unit for dish washer.
-Make new socket for extractor fan.
-Make new socket for washing machine in the utility.
-Replace all sockets and switch faces (I have bought already)
-Place 6 down lights in the celling. (basic white - supply and fit)
-Upgrade cooker as 16A required
-Wiring in under cupboard and plinth lighting (not supply)

Took him one whole day for first fix and a few hours for second, I'd say 10 hours in total.

There's no set rates for electrical work (or any other building work), just as there could have been different costs involved. There's no saying they were even quoting for exactly the same work to be done.

Each of the electricians would have been a separate business; it could be that you've got a bargain, or it could be you get what you pay for.

What is certain is that if something goes wrong you'll have to go back to the electrician who you paid - you can't decide you've lost faith in them and expect someone else to come along and pick up the pieces for free.

I would more likely believe the chap who recently emailed me from Nigeria offering me a million pounds if I transferred some money for him than believing what the Doctor says.

I paid the bloke cash, he runs his own business just himself, had a smart van with professional artwork on the side and fully registered.

The kitchen fitter recommend him and said he has worked on many building sites with him. I should think £460 for 10 hours work is a decent rate, minus the cabling and downlights he's easy made at least £350. £35 an hour seems reasonable for an electrician, or is £70 or £110 a more reasonable rate like the other chancers?

I paid the bloke cash, he runs his own business just himself, had a smart van with professional artwork on the side and fully registered.

The kitchen fitter recommend him and said he has worked on many building sites with him. I should think £460 for 10 hours work is a decent rate, minus the cabling and downlights he's easy made at least £350. £35 an hour seems reasonable for an electrician, or is £70 or £110 a more reasonable rate like the other chancers?

You almost got away with it with your first post as even I just thought that you were a fantasist, but you have made the classic mistake of slightly over doing it.

So come on own up, who are you really (I suspect you are a regular on here that has registered with a different email address and name)?

You almost got away with it with your first post as even I just thought that you were a fantasist, but you have made the classic mistake of slightly over doing it.

So come on own up, who are you really (I suspect you are a regular on here that has registered with a different email address and name)?

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back