Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted anyone's views on why electricians prices are so different, had a few quotes for wiring in a kitchen, quotes came in at:

£1200
£950 (reduced to £850 when I questioned it)
£460

Went with the £460, did a great job, safety certificate the lot. I know none of you will have seen the job in question but how do people quote up for jobs and why the vast difference?

Depends on the specification and work entailed, I have done very simple kitchen fits for the low price and for well over the top price.
Depends on business model and overheads which are different for each company.
Depends on the materials used. There are sometimes quite large differences in price and also quality.
There also some electricians that are great at their job but useless at business and work for peanuts.

Rip off Merchant trying it on
Hoping to con you
Got a pic of the certificate we can have a look at? what was the extent of the work, how many sockets, lights, cooker points, bonding OK? was rge Bloke that won the work a CP Scheme member ( NICEIC, NAPIT etc) any part P notification to LABC?

Oh, I've also seen a cheap kitchen fit where the certificate was bogus, all the results were invented, and none of the basic safety requirements were added but later needed to be at a cost of several hundreds extra.

Steve you need to come back with some answers to the questions asked and then maybe the guys can give you a few answers, pictures are also useful.

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net