Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

thing is even the jib are diluting and getting into bed with the schemes as now if you get ac status with niceic, which we know they bend over backwards to give you if the cheque clears... you can get the gold card after a couple of annual assessments, you can sit equivalent courses with niceic instead of the nvq etc to get QS status, admittedly the gold card is only valid so long as you stay at that business... but its changing...
Interesting observations though, I have 2365 L2 and 3, 2394 and a couple other qualifications i took when i left the forces for health reasons.Spent several years doing commercial refurbs and social housing rewires before I went out on my own due to family commitments. technically i am not a qualified electrician, i only joined NICEIC to be able to sign off the part p stuff, the light commercial stuff i do normally doesn't need it. admittedly I wouldn't know where to begin in an industrial setting. However I would also think an industrial spark wouldn't automatically be able to jump right into house bashing. I have worked with domestic installers who have more knowledge, experience and skills than a supposed qualified time served apprentice with a pretty nvq portfolio. its all about mindset, approach to work and experience, but also knowing when to stay within your limits. its not just trades that are changing. I have family who work in the nhs and these days physiologists do what a few years ago a doctor would have done, they have just 2 years post degree experience before treating patients. likewise nurses are now effectively doing the job of doctors as training has improved. Take drs, when they first qualify or do there placements you are more likely to die in a hospital. yet they are the equivalent of an apprentice with his portfolio and am2... compare this to a nurse who might not be a dr but has experience and knowledge to do the things a doctor would previously have done. its happening in all industries and walk of life and is unlikely to change.

Agree with most of that.
Yes the JIB do seem to be softening up.
I was industrial and commercially trained and no I didn't have the first clue when it came to domestic work when I switched.
Yes it's all down to the individual. I have a mate who I have worked with for about 8 years now. He could not get a JIB grading with his quals but is a great spark and has run his own business for nearly a decade. I have also worked with electrician's mates with no quals who know more than your average spark.

Final word; Good question @steve_jones and it is a mystery to me as well as to you. In Bristol we have a man who will rewire your house for ÂŁ2000. Nobody can compete with him. I cannnot fathom how he can do it.
I have come across a similar possibly the same guy in Bristol, Hes based in Stockwood. I actually asked him how he gets so cheap and surprisingly he was quite open, I came across him when working on a house on the same road, as the owners knew one and other so I knew the amount they paid. start of last year they paid ÂŁ2200 for a 3 bed terrace rewire. the guy was self employed, not a ltd company not vat registered. He said he allows 7 working days, own brand fittings from whoever is cheapest and cheapest CU's around that month. no fancy downlights, standard pendants etc.. Owner makes good chases or he will arrange for extra cost a plasterer to come in. Has a set routine and somehow manages it. He says the materials will take up no more than a third of the price charged, allowing a extra 100 for little bits he might miss. leaving him around ÂŁ1400 for 7 days work. Of course you then have taxes, NI etc but given hes a sole trader I am sure like a lot he is creative with the accounting.
When I first went self employed I have done an empty 2 up 2 down small house with bathroom downstairs for ÂŁ2k. but once you get into say 3 bed lived in houses thats another ball game.
Likewise this week I quoted to rewire a small 1 bed studio flat for ÂŁ1300 that is to a basic spec as a student let and am waiting to hear back from the landlord. Will take a couple of days with easy access being vacant and has access to loft space.

Amazing, never thought I would learn anything about the mystery man. That goes a long way to filling in some blanks!
I actually think 'he' or possibly maybe one or two he works with are on mybuilder now, as everytime a rewire comes up on there, and i know from people who have hired said outfits the prices being quoted for rewires are exceptionally low. One quote was ÂŁ3k for a full rewire for a 4 bed semi in hartcliffe. I get odd little diary fillers from mybuilder that are quick and local but dont even bother with the bigger stuff.

Here is my point of view. Using a different analogy. "scuba diver"..
Now with this you can take a short course 'Open Water' and become a "scuba diver". There are other courses you can take which increase your knowledge and work you way up to 'Dive Master'.. Now a Dive Master can do a lot more than an Open Water person but they are both "Scuba Divers" with different knowledge bases and experience.
As long as they're PADI trained and qualified.

Professional Association of Diving Instructors.

Thanks @DPG . I was more after what the meaning of the comment was. I took the PADI route when I did my scuba diving courses..

I've had a long day at work mate..... What do you mean?
PADI is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. This is the globally-recognised body for SCUBA instruction. There are some other bodies but internationally PADI is by far and away the best known.

PADI is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. This is the globally-recognised body for SCUBA instruction. There are some other bodies but internationally PADI is by far and away the best known.

I agree. I'm with PADI.

Part P? is that a qualification or a building regulation?

qualification? what for? knowing how to read it lol

i agree, ive seen industrial guys struggle with routing cables inside houses, having the ability to guess where dwangs are in walls, fishing for cables in victorian properties.

most sparkies can adapt from one to the other but it takes time

I can believe that, we are used to welding SWA to girders and lecturing people to use banjo’s!
I hate doing anything at home.

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net