Discuss why the cover up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jaypp

Regarding some recent banning of members, I don't understand why there seems to be a 'hush hush' rule for some things and not others. For example, just recently all members were warned about multiple accounts and consequences, yet not given info on content that has resulted in a ban for some members. Awaiting my first warning/ban!!!

When someone has multiple accounts on the forum (which is not permitted) I send them a PM requesting they let me know which account they want to keep so I can close the other one. If they're not an established member and I don't get a reply then I close both of them. Most of these accounts have one post of maybe a handful of posts at the most. The multiple account warning I posted was just to give people a chance to salvage their account if it was closed and by some slim chance they wanted to keep it.

If someone makes a post with unacceptable content the post is deleted and an infraction is given which automatically results in a 7 day ban. It's not 'hush-hush' but it's not open to public consensus or debate either, staff actions are just between staff and the member involved. When the infraction is given a notification is sent to that member. How it's received depends on the setting of the members account, they would receive a PM and possibly an email with a brief explanation.

Thanks Marvo for the explanation. It would be helpful for the forum in general, I think, to have info on the kind of posts deemed to be unacceptable.

Common sense should tell you wots appropriate and wots not to be said on public forums, ive always lived by the moto its nice to be nice,

There's no definitive list unfortunately. The forum is open to all types of people of all ages, members are just required to post accordingly. The line between what's acceptable and what isn't also moves depending on where the post is made, in the forums that aren't public facing we cut more slack because those pages don't show up on Google search results and won't get the forum penalised in rankings or reported for inappropriate content.etc.

they would receive a PM and possibly an email with a brief explanation.

Well it seems that hasn't happened with Pete 999, and a PM wouldn't be of much use, if a ban has been issued if they can't read it.

I'm still being subject to these daft ''security pages'' literary every 15 minutes or so!!!! It has nothing to do with China either as i'm now in Cyprus and have been for a week now and with no proxy in line. But even while in China, the proxy would nullify any relationship with China anyway, that's the whole point of them.... The proxy i'm using actually uses my Cyprus provider IP.
If i can go on to high security financial web sites without any problems at all (which i have to do as part of my project duties almost on a daily basis) and have absolutely zero problems with any other forum websites, then i can only surmise that something has been put in place against my name on this forum.

There's no definitive list unfortunately. The forum is open to all types of people of all ages, members are just required to post accordingly. The line between what's acceptable and what isn't also moves depending on where the post is made, in the forums that aren't public facing we cut more slack because those pages don't show up on Google search results and won't get the forum penalised in rankings or reported for inappropriate content.etc.

That makes sense, thank you. As you can see, I'm not one to make offensive posts and where I may have potentially offended/crossed the line, have acted accordingly.

Whether an email is received or not is down to the members settings which they control with their individual options in their control panel. If their email notifications aren't enabled then one won't be sent because that was their choice.

There's no restrictions placed against your account I can assure you. I checked your permissions earlier and reset them, you should have full unhindered access to the forum. Because of the recent attacks that were designed to take the forum off-line various counter measures were introduced. If you're getting frequent security screens I'll speak to Dan to see if the situation can be improved.

Whether an email is received or not is down to the members settings which they control with their individual options in their control panel. If their email notifications aren't enabled then one won't be sent because that was their choice.

There's no restrictions placed against your account I can assure you. I checked your permissions earlier and reset them, you should have full unhindered access to the forum. Because of the recent attacks that were designed to take the forum off-line various counter measures were introduced. If you're getting frequent security screens I'll speak to Dan to see if the situation can be improved.

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but @ Marvo if you ever bump into the above mentioned Dan can you ask him to sort out our photography section.
Right that's me done / has you were Gents!!

I am indeed, about every 15 minutes or so, after any post i make (and more often than not that post gets lost into the bargain) and replying to PM's. Something is very wrong somewhere and it's not at my end. For about a week just recently i had no security pages popping up, even to get on to the forum, then suddenly they are back again with a vengeance!!!

I am indeed, about every 15 minutes or so, after any post i make (and more often than not that post gets lost into the bargain) and replying to PM's. Something is very wrong somewhere and it's not at my end. For about a week just recently i had no security pages popping up, even to get on to the forum, then suddenly they are back again with a vengeance!!!

I reckon it's Marvo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an issue with my business email which is at my ISP end - one of their other clients was unscrupulous and using their account to send spam so got kicked off and cancelled, but unfortunately it was on the same shared server as me and a few others so now the internet spam engines are having difficulty screening the legit domains sending from that IP address! So for the time being I'm having to use an Outlook account purely as my outbound portal.

But with regards to the OP.....moderation is a really hard job and infractions are not given lightly on any forum. There's an awful lot more leniency given here (and the competition) than you'll find on some professional forums of other trades!!!

I have an issue with my business email which is at my ISP end - one of their other clients was unscrupulous and using their account to send spam so got kicked off and cancelled, but unfortunately it was on the same shared server as me and a few others so now the internet spam engines are having difficulty screening the legit domains sending from that IP address! So for the time being I'm having to use an Outlook account purely as my outbound portal.
Penalising IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses used to be fairly effective in combating spam and malicious activity but more recently with the shortage of IP addresses they have been shuffled and moved around from country to country so it's now a problem where ranges that were notorious for trouble now have a bad name even though they've now been reissued elsewhere.

AsRichard mentioned in his previous post I also suspect Eng's IP address has changed and isn't whitelisted on the security software. I've already requested for Dan to assist.

Penalising IP addresses and ranges of IP addresses used to be fairly effective in combating spam and malicious activity but more recently with the shortage of IP addresses they have been shuffled and moved around from country to country so it's now a problem where ranges that were notorious for trouble now have a bad name even though they've now been reissued elsewhere.

AsRichard mentioned in his previous post I also suspect Eng's IP address has changed and isn't whitelisted on the security software. I've already requested for Dan to assist.
the problem is also agrivated by a lot of people dont have a dynamic ip.

bassically they get assigned different one every time they connect

So would someone who tries to surf anonymously by (not sure of correct term) bouncing their IP address have problems with forums etc.?

So would someone who tries to surf anonymously by (not sure of correct term) bouncing their IP address have problems with forums etc.?
its not anoymous though, you can trace the ip quite easily.

if you log the time and ip you can find them through a court order by forcing the isp's to tell you who connected then follow the chain.

the better way is to use a vpn rather than a different ip.

for example to take the content protection of my phone would require me to go into the shop or use a credit card (i refuse to get one).

anyway i have a vpn and gets around the filters quite easily

Last edited:

Dynamic IP is where it's changed after a certain time by your ISP, basically you only lease it for a short term. Most ISP's use dynamic IP address systems. Static IP is where you retain the same IPaddress from you ISP indefinitely.

I also use VPN's sometimes but mainly as a way around geo restrictions. If you want to be anonymous rather use Tor Browser, it's as secure as you get and it's free.

Reply to why the cover up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net