Search the forum,

Discuss why the cover up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the problem is also agrivated by a lot of people dont have a dynamic ip.

bassically they get assigned different one every time they connect

I guess you mean they do have dynamic IP addresses, then yes you get a new IP address when you re-connect to your ISP, but within the block of addresses your ISP has been allocated.
I think....:dozey:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynamic IP is where it's changed after a certain time by your ISP, basically you only lease it for a short term. Most ISP's use dynamic IP address systems. Static IP is where you retain the same IPaddress from you ISP indefinitely.

also use VPN's sometimes but mainly as a way around geo restrictions. If you want to be anonymous rather use Tor Browser, it's as secure as you get and it's free.

my mistake marvo i gor them mixed up

tor isnt secure marvo, have a look at defcon, blackhat etc.

because the nodes are random there is no way to verify how secure they are

my mistake marvo i gor them mixed up

tor isnt secure marvo, have a look at defcon, blackhat etc.

because the nodes are random there is no way to verify how secure they are

TOR is as secure as you get. Most of the weaknesses are avoidable by following their advice on how to use TOR securely. If you're going to attack TOR using the exit node which is the only feasible vulnerability, you can capture info from text based protocols such as HTTP but you've no idea where that data came from. So even then in a worst case scenario it might not be secret but it's still anonymous.

If like I said you follow their advice on secure browsing you won't be using a text based protocol like HTTP, you'll be using an encrypted protocol such as HTTPS which is end to end encrypted. TOR combined with end to end encryption is solid for anonymity and secrecy of data.

Whether an email is received or not is down to the members settings which they control with their individual options in their control panel. If their email notifications aren't enabled then one won't be sent because that was their choice.

Is that the option to not receive email notification of PMs?
Because that's seems to be very unfair if it is, choosing not to have my inbox filled with emails every-time I receive a PM doesn't seem like a good reason not to let me know if I have been banned or why!

Is that the option to not receive email notification of PMs?
Because that's seems to be very unfair if it is, choosing not to have my inbox filled with emails every-time I receive a PM doesn't seem like a good reason not to let me know if I have been banned or why!
If you choose not to receive emails notifications then the forum won't send them. I'm really not sure what else to say, it's your choice and the forum abides by it. I'm not sure how that's unfair, it's just is what it is. I can imagine the hoo-har that would happen if emails were sent to members who'd specifically set their options not to have them, we really can't win. Anyway it's outside of the staff's control, the only thing we could do is go into the control panel and manually find the members email address and send them an email from our own email client which would still be classed as unsolicited mail and isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

If you choose not to receive emails notifications then the forum won't send them. I'm really not sure what else to say, it's your choice and the forum abides by it. I'm not sure how that's unfair, it's just is what it is. I can imagine the hoo-har that would happen if emails were sent to members who'd specifically set their options not to have them, we really can't win. Anyway it's outside of the staff's control, the only thing we could do is go into the control panel and manually find the members email address and send them an email from our own email client which would still be classed as unsolicited mail and isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

Fair point that

Any member that receives a ban and is unable to read their own PM's can go to the front forum screen, at the bottom click "contact us" and an e-mailed reply will be sent.

But if I choose not to receive notification by email of PMs specifically I wouldn't expect that to prevent me receiving emails about my account. And I have left the option to receive emails from administrators ticked so I would fully expect to receive an email about a ban.
Notifying someone about a ban by a messaging system primarily designed to be accessed once signed in to the forum from which the person is banned is crazy!

But if I choose not to receive notification by email of PMs specifically I wouldn't expect that to prevent me receiving emails about my account. And I have left the option to receive emails from administrators ticked so I would fully expect to receive an email about a ban.
Notifying someone about a ban by a messaging system primarily designed to be accessed once signed in to the forum from which the person is banned is crazy!

Point taken Dave, I've checked into this and if a banned member tries to log in a message is displayed as below:-

"You have been banned for the following reason:Swearing on the open forum.
Date the ban will be lifted: 16-09-2014, 11:00 PM"

It gives the reason for the ban and the date+time when it is lifted. Hope that explains.

Okay, after some investigation here's how it works.

When an infraction is given the staff member fills out two specific sets of details. Firstly there's an explanation that gets posted in the staffroom and secondly there's a message to the member stating why he received the infraction.

That message is sent as a PM. Normally an email notification would also be sent to tell the member he's received a PM, in that email is a link you can click to take you straight to the PM. When you click the link you're asked to log in then if you've been banned you'll only see a screen that tells you so and gives you the reason you're banned along with the date it expires.

If you don't receive the email notification it doesn't really matter because next time you log in you'll see the same screen with the same info about your ban anyway.

If you've got email notification off, you don't know if you've got a PM because you're banned and can't login to see if you've got any notifications! :)

Then you have to wait until your ban is over, I know :)

Can't you send a regular email to the banee?

If someone has been banned and they log into the forum they see a screen that informs them they're banned and why. It also tells them when the ban expires.

Can't you send a regular email to the banee?
Like I said in post #25 even if we had the time to do this it would also be an unsolicited email.

Reply to why the cover up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock