Discuss Will any led 12v DC transformer be suitable for 12v DC Extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like everybody is voting for 220v and giving up on advising 12v DC transformer because it is not common and not showing up in google:) I wonder what were the manufacturer thinking by adding 12v DC options since there is no suitable PS on the market. I will email them just out of curiosity.

Nobody is recommending specific power supplies because we don't know enough about the installation.

There are plenty of suitable power supplies on the market but unless I'm doing the job and have actually seen where it is going to be installed and worked out what is needed I can't advise on specific power supplies.
Plus most suitable power supplies are going to be of a type which is designed, and required, to be installed in a seperate enclosure, we can't recommend something like that without knowing that it is definately going to be installed safely.

Nobody is recommending specific power supplies because we don't know enough about the installation.

There are plenty of suitable power supplies on the market but unless I'm doing the job and have actually seen where it is going to be installed and worked out what is needed I can't advise on specific power supplies.
Plus most suitable power supplies are going to be of a type which is designed, and required, to be installed in a seperate enclosure, we can't recommend something like that without knowing that it is definately going to be installed safely.
it is in a wall at 2.70m above bathtub , the specs of the fan are known. what else do you need to know? ). All walls are accessible on every side. You are cosplaying a rocket scientist now:) Anyways, the guy from the Vent-axia replied surprisingly quickly and advised this Vent Axia 444102 230/12V Svara Transformer - https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/vent-axia-23012v-svara-transformer-5390-p.asp which is quite pricy for the purpose. which cost £83.54 delivered. Almost as shocking as electrocution. So the matter is kinda solved unless you can see cheaper options. It is going to be installed by certified electrician, just some of those might need extra guidance, that is why some of them are here as well.
!!! Update found ex-demo on eBay under £30 ,tested and working !!!
(found similar thread here Vent Axia Svara Extractor Fan Transformer help - https://community.NoLinkingToThis/threads/vent-axia-svara-extractor-fan-transformer-help.253727/page-3)

Last edited:
If your electrician needs extra guidance I suggest you find another electrician.
I have not met him yet, quite a few guys promised to come and see but no response since Monday. The collective knowledge is most of the time greater the the individual one, to some degree any electrician can benefit from it. And on top of that some of the regulations are fairly ambiguous so it would be good to know consensus on certain things before witnessing the procedures.

And on top of that some of the regulations are fairly ambiguous

Which regulations do you think are ambiguous?

Generally the regulations aren't ambiguous at all, it's people's inability to read them properly that causes a lot of that.

The other big issue is people not keeping up to date with the changes to the regulations, especially with regulations which are removed.

sure thing: IET - BS 7671 On-site Guide (2018), IET - BS 7671 2018 (2018), IET Wiring Regulations (17th Edition BS 7671_2008) Amendment 1_2011

Bear in mind we are on the 2nd amendment of the 18th edition now, so some things have changed.

Which regulations do you think are ambiguous?

Generally the regulations aren't ambiguous at all, it's people's inability to read them properly that causes a lot of that.

The other big issue is people not keeping up to date with the changes to the regulations, especially with regulations which are removed.
well this way you can easily hit the wall with "properly" , all of them will assume their way of reading is "proper". And then they will give contradicting advice on forum:) Just let it go:)

Bear in mind we are on the 2nd amendment of the 18th edition now, so some things have changed.
2nd amendment: no more stickers on CU:))) I have Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, Eighteenth Edition, BS 7671:2018 as well

Last edited:

Reply to Will any led 12v DC transformer be suitable for 12v DC Extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net