Discuss Will any led 12v DC transformer be suitable for 12v DC Extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is that 3 threads now on your bathroom?

Although we can give DIY advice, a bathroom is classed as a “special location” and there are additional regulation concerning what can and can’t be fitted.

A 12v fan should have come with a transformer… some have a run on timer built in.
An LED normally comes with a driver, not a transformer, and are classed as constant current not constant voltage.

Not all fans in bathrooms actually need to be 12v, and mains 230v can be used, even directly above a bath, but need to be designed specifically for that location.

Blowing the air out of the bathroom) is there any other purpose for it?

Yes there are many other purposes, based on the information you gave it could have been anything from part of a vivarium to part of an industrial process.

I-Transformer will be located outside the bathroom

That doesn't help very much.
Most SELV extract fans come as a kit which includes a transformer or power supply as required.

Is that 3 threads now on your bathroom?

Although we can give DIY advice, a bathroom is classed as a “special location” and there are additional regulation concerning what can and can’t be fitted.

A 12v fan should have come with a transformer… some have a run on timer built in.
An LED normally comes with a driver, not a transformer, and are classed as constant current not constant voltage.

Not all fans in bathrooms actually need to be 12v, and mains 230v can be used, even directly above a bath, but need to be designed specifically for that location.
thank you, I know about special location, just want to make sure the job is done properly by low budget certified electrician. the fan is Svarna ip44 rating, 4w , it has 2 options 220V and 12v, but for 12v transformer is needed. I know that if above 2.25m the fan is fine at 220v . But just for extra safety I wanted to use 12v DC. There is now special requirments regarding transformer in the manual. Please advise a transformer if possible. I checked dedicated transformers for fans, those are all AC. Surely any transformer that gives 12v and 4w should do? But I only see the ones with plugs, not for permanent wiring. Thank you

Yes there are many other purposes, based on the information you gave it could have been anything from part of a vivarium to part of an industrial process.

That doesn't help very much.
Most SELV extract fans come as a kit which includes a transformer or power supply as required.
this one doesn't come with (separate) transformer, it has 2 options to run at 220v or 12v. there is no transformer accessory on their website. So for 12v DC option it needs a third party transformer/power supply. The only specifics manual says
"12VDC voltage must not exceed between 10 - 13,6VDC."
Lo-Carbon Svara | Vent-Axia - https://www.vent-axia.com/range/lo-carbon-svara or Vent-Axia 100mm Svara Lo-Carbon App Controllable Extractor Fan Timer | Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/vent-axia-100mm-svara-lo-carbon-app-controllable-extractor-fan/p29639

thank you, I know about special location, just want to make sure the job is done properly by low budget certified electrician. the fan is Svarna ip44 rating, 4w , it has 2 options 220V and 12v, but for 12v transformer is needed. I know that if above 2.25m the fan is fine at 220v . But just for extra safety I wanted to use 12v DC. There is now special requirments regarding transformer in the manual. Please advise a transformer if possible. I checked dedicated transformers for fans, those are all AC. Surely any transformer that gives 12v and 4w should do? But I only see the ones with plugs, not for permanent wiring. Thank you

Can you not buy the matching transformer for the fan? I would go with manufacturer's recommendations rather than trying to find alternative type.

What is the model number of this fan?

Can you not buy the matching transformer for the fan? I would go with manufacturer's recommendations rather than trying to find alternative type.

What is the model number of this fan?
this one doesn't come with (separate) transformer, it has 2 options to run at 220v or 12v. there is no transformer accessory on their website. So for 12v DC option it needs a third party transformer/power supply. The only specifics manual says
Lo-Carbon Svara | Vent-Axia - https://www.vent-axia.com/range/lo-carbon-svara or Vent-Axia 100mm Svara Lo-Carbon App Controllable Extractor Fan Timer | Toolstation - https://www.toolstation.com/vent-axia-100mm-svara-lo-carbon-app-controllable-extractor-fan/p29639

A 230v fan fan be used provided it is suitable for the location. Does your low budget electrician not know this.

It looks like any regulated 12V DC power supply can be used providing it can provide 4 Watts and is suited to running with such a low loading.

But as above, it is also suitable when fed with 230V

And avoid cheap contractors - there is usually a reason they are cheap!

A 230v fan fan be used provided it is suitable for the location. Does your low budget electrician not know this.
sure, but can we have 12v for extra safety of is it unreasonable to ask? Everybody knows above bath tub at 2.25m (zone 2) it is ok to have 220v with IP44, But still:) 12v is safer

It looks like any regulated 12V DC power supply can be used providing it can provide 4 Watts and is suited to running with such a low loading.

But as above, it is also suitable when fed with 230V

And avoid cheap contractors - there is usually a reason they are cheap!
I wouldn't be here if I could afford those

sure, but can we have 12v for extra safety of is it unreasonable to ask? Everybody knows above bath tub at 2.25m (zone 2) it is ok to have 220v with IP44, But still:) 12v is safer

Yes no problem at all. At least you are weighing up the options.

Looks like everybody is voting for 220v and giving up on advising 12v DC transformer because it is not common and not showing up in google:) I wonder what were the manufacturer thinking by adding 12v DC options since there is no suitable PS on the market. I will email them just out of curiosity.

Looks like everybody is voting for 220v and giving up on advising 12v DC transformer because it is not common and not showing up in google:) I wonder what were the manufacturer thinking by adding 12v DC options since there is no suitable PS on the market. I will email them just out of curiosity.

I advised about a power supply in post #13

Reply to Will any led 12v DC transformer be suitable for 12v DC Extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net