Discuss Will my garage handle my planned usage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not quite so sure the garage arrangements break the regs on their own, after all an unfused spur to one double socket in the garage would be allowed, with total potential current draw of 2 x 13A (26A), and there's currently a 20A limit (5A + 15A will blow eventually!).

I'm assuming that the ring comes both in and out of that grid switch, with each 20A DP isolator on the ring, feeding an FCU near each appliance.

Good old 433.1.204 says
"if under the intended conditions of use the load current in any part of the circuit is unlikely to exceed for long periods the current carrying capacity (Iz) of the cable"

My main concern is that having a few appliances on could get close to the load current exceeding the CCC of the cable, depending too on how the cables are run. Especially in the short length's behind that switch.

Regarding the garage - I had exactly the same idea of sticking a 13A module in that grid switch if there's no practical way to improve the arrangements.

But it’s not one double socket on the end of the cable… it’s an old fuse board. No idea what size of fuse wire is in that 15A and 5A carrier….

I stand by what I said.

Change the garage fuse board to a double socket…. That’s ok.

Then have everything come off extension leads. 😆

Reply to Will my garage handle my planned usage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Looking for some cabling advice for my garden project. I’ve put together this diagram below, which hopefully explains what I’m trying to achieve...
Replies
Views
B
Prefix - I've tried to post this in automotive, but it would not let me. This may be because I have not been recently active. Apologies if this is...
Replies
Views
I
Hi everyone. Found you guys through Google and can see this a good site. So I'm hoping some of you can answer some questions for me regarding the...
Replies
Views
M
This will be interesting. Property 4 bed domestic within the M25. Your task to day is to give the forum a price for the following recent...
Replies
Views
Dazzafaz
D
S
Hello Guys, I will be installing an electrical supply to a new garden office and I want to run my thoughts about my installation past you all...
Replies
Views
RISElectrical
R

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock