Discuss Wireless Programmable Thermostat wiring help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is not the law, that is a leaflet produced by gassafe, the law can be found on legislation.gov.uk and is titled Gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998

Gas safe is the body currently licensed to maintain the register on behalf of the health and safety executive,

Yes what does it say, will be some iteration of you must be qualified/ hold the reverent qualifications

Also why do you think boilers come pre wired

Have a read

Domestic gas health and safety - http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/index.htm

why do you think boilers come pre wired
They come pre-wired (with a link in the thermostat connections) because they are tested before being dispatched..
Are saying that electricains can't wire boilers up because they are not Gas Safe ?

Of course, I understand you shouldn't be taking the cover off of an Gas appliance but we are not dismantling the boiler, to get to the burner etc we have to remove another cover which I would agree, Non Gas safe people should not be removing.

Last edited:
They come pre-wired (with a link in the thermostat connections) because they are tested before being dispatched..
Are saying that electricains can't wire boilers up because they are not Gas Safe ?

Of course, I understand you shouldn't be taking the cover off of an Gas appliance but we are not dismantling the boiler, to get to the burner etc we have to remove another cover which I would agree, Non Gas safe people should not be removing.

correct and there not tested eg fired up/ connected to elec

still doesnt matter your removing the cover, which under law you cant do unless your gas safe or its decorative (no screws in cover)

Pretty sure the newish Valiant Boilers have no screws in the cover, just clips at the bottom.

I was on a job and gasman was with gas safe inspector was there, the inspector was fine with me removing the cover to do electrical connections and didn't call the police.

Pretty sure the newish Valiant Boilers have no screws in the cover, just clips at the bottom.

I was on a job and gasman was with gas safe inspector was there, the inspector was fine with me removing the cover to do electrical connections and didn't call the police.

Gas man was still on site and probably hasn't commissioned the boiler yet

Reply to Wireless Programmable Thermostat wiring help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net