Discuss Wiring for new two way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone help, I'm trying to replace a two way switch, but can't get both lights to work, i am a novice with electrics, however don't normally have problems replacing switches. The new switch is totally different to the old one and the colour of the wires is unusual.
Switch 1 - single switch (Two way) L1- red, L2 - yellow, L3 - blue
Switch 2 - Double switch, 1 two way, 1 single
wire 1 - red - incoming live, black Common, yellow/green earth.
wire 2 - red ?, black common, yellow/green earth
wire 3 - red?, yellow ?, blue?
can anyone tell me the correct wiring for the double two way switch

Call an electrician, will likely cost you an hours labour max, but just because a wire is a certain colour say red, doesn't mean it was used as live, it likely is but never take it as a given. I think based on your descriptions it is unlikely we will be able to give you a clear answer. had you taken pictures before removing the switch etc.. then that might have helped.

Wire 2, red to L2 and black to L1.
Wire 3, red to common, yellow to L1 and blue to L2.
The black, yellow and blue should be identified with some red sleeve or tape.

#3 is the general configuration for two way switching on three plate wiring. Can you post some pics of both switches, as your knowledge is limited we can only give limited advice ourselves before we advise using the services of an electrician.

i,m struggling to upload a picture, however, switch 1 is a single two way switch with 3 wires, red in L1, yellow in L2 and blue in L3. Switch 2 is a double switch, 1 switch one way, common red live in, L1 red, this light works. the main light that is linked to switch 1 is common red, linked to other common, L1 yellow, L2 blue
Hope this makes sense

here is switch 2

IMG_0728.jpg

picture is switch on its side, as you look at it red wire at bottom nearest the wall is the live in, red wire nearest in same switch is live out i guess, that works, its the other switch that looks like its on top in the picture, red linked to live in with black link wire, blue and yellow in L1 and L2

The single switch appears to be fine but the block connector at the double switch throws things and what has happened to the blacks. Think you need an electrician to resolve this, will take them less than an hour.

The block connector is just an extension of the red wire, the 2 black wires terminate in a block connector inside the socket housing and are not connected to the switch, this is how it was wired originally, I will try to locate an electrician, thank you for you time

Reply to Wiring for new two way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net