Discuss Within Competent Person Schemes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

most domestic work i do is for reputable builders who know im not the cheapest but neither are they but the customer gets a good job, with no hidden extras etc. the only time i really deal with the customer direct now is on domestic pv jobs and most of the time make at least £1000 profit for a day/day and half out of these pv jobs. there is still money to be had in the domestic sector.

I think those who have posts deleted should be informed so they can attemp to see the error of their ways.

All posts edited or deleted are clearly visible with who modified them and the reason why. Today I must be close to editing or deleting 50 posts (including some of yours) so I don't think it would be practical for me to have to contact members everytime I edit something.

I completely agree with you. We decided two years ago to completely pull out of the domestic sector. They will not pay our rates and our rates are high due to our insurances to work on the railway, at height, asbestos, 3 phase etc...

That is fair enough, you have seen an opening and you have targeted a specific market. As long as you do not have all your eggs in one basket.

GBKayak is correct.

I asked a pretty specific question, and the thread was immediately hijacked.

No-one has provided any inside info to the schemes as yet, all that happened was that the 'practical solutions' chuntering has now moved over here.

Hang on a minute?! Didn't you implicitly state at the start of the thread that you wanted NO rants.

Funny that you tolerate rants from people that make points you can agree with.

You knew full well that there isn't anyone here who works for the schemes, you were just looking for a fight, and you got one. Don't try and play the innocent!

*removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness to yourself, I believe you employ others, so you have increased overheads and VAT. You will always be uncompetitive on labour. Daywork is also not a fair comparison as the amount done in a day varies between sparks. I am sole trader and that is all I want to be as I enjoy it, I have a large client base and if I have not took £200 day (All work priced) then I have had a bad day. Nearly all repeat custom and recommends these days.

the more people you have working for you the more profit you have coming in to pay for those overheads. You should not need to raise your rate to cover increased overheads caused by an increase of staff.

All done with good justification :)

I have to disagree with you.

By all means edit a post but for posts to vanish completely - thats really bad practice.

You need to leave "evidence" of such posts and introduce a yellow card system too.

As it stands it may as well be a club with a bag and a few black balls!

the more people you have working for you the more profit you have coming in to pay for those overheads. You should not need to raise your rate to cover increased overheads caused by an increase of staff.
Ok. I work alone, you would know much better than me. VAT on labour seems to be the main issue with domestic.

By all means edit a post but for posts to vanish completely - thats really bad practice.

You need to leave "evidence" of such posts and introduce a yellow card system too.

This is is what I meant but was not sure if I was wrong so didn't follow up on it.

Hang on a minute?! Didn't you implicitly state at the start of the thread that you wanted NO rants.

Funny that you tolerate rants from people that make points you can agree with.

You knew full well that there isn't anyone here who works for the schemes, you were just looking for a fight, and you got one. Don't try and play the innocent!

On a tangent here, I do hope you end up deciding not to join the industry. You'll be one more on a long list making a mockery of it.

GB wasn't so much ranting on a point but pointing out the thread had been hijacked.
Post reported for a personal attack.

Clive, do me a favour and have a look between posts #10 & #11 on this thread. You should see the same as me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 49
All posts edited or deleted are clearly visible with who modified them and the reason why. Today I must be close to editing or deleting 50 posts (including some of yours) so I don't think it would be practical for me to have to contact members everytime I edit something.

I am am aware of the posts that have been altered and have clearly seen the reasons why. It is those that have been deleted that I have no clue of why. Obviously to personally contact those affected would be madness but maybe instead of deleting with no evidence just leave a comment.

I am am not coming at this from a whiter than white stance honestly I am not. Just I think feedback will make me understand a little better about what is ok and what is not.

GB wasn't so much ranting on a point but pointing out the thread had been hijacked.
Post reported for a personal attack.

Report my backside you little grass!

You wanna whinge and moan like a little kid that your type are detested by those who have worked long and hard to make a place for themselves in this industry then that's your prerogative but don't complain when you find that there are people who will tell you this to your face.

*removed*

Report my backside you little grass!

You wanna whinge and moan like a little kid that your type are detested by those who have worked long and hard to make a place for themselves in this industry then that's your prerogative but don't complain when you find that there are people who will tell you this to your face

That is totally uncalled for mate. Come on.

Clive, do me a favour and have a look between posts #10 & #11 on this thread. You should see the same as me.

I am well aware of the editing note left by mods.

MY BEEF is when you delete posts completely.

The post should remain with a note from the mod saying content deleted.

Just saying.

Reply to Within Competent Person Schemes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net