Discuss Wot! no earth? Hmmm! had to add this bit to pass the title rules? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to change the flex on a small 2kw heater as it came with a fairly rigid wiring to the plug. I was surprised to find there wasn't an earth being used. Also the heater it replaced had a cut-out switch on the base, this one hasn't. Explanation please. Thank you.

Hi all,

I decided to change the flex on a small 2kw heater as it came with a fairly rigid wiring to the plug. I was surprised to find there wasn't an earth being used. Also the heater it replaced had a cut-out switch on the base, this one hasn't. Explanation please. Thank you.
Different type of heater has it got something like this on the heater?
Google Image Result for http://www.gcsescience.com/double-insulation-symbol.gif - https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gcsescience.com/double-insulation-symbol.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.gcsescience.com/pe38.htm&h=123&w=175&tbnid=7EL7kU_o2AaBPM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=175&usg=__DdI9rZKygJah7cTJ-M2JyXWKqgI%3D&vet=10ahUKEwiuzrrVqfHZAhXMAMAKHSgRBXkQ9QEILTAA..i&docid=Y4iZ3W7418FCbM&client=firefox-b&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuzrrVqfHZAhXMAMAKHSgRBXkQ9QEILTAA

Last edited:
Hi all,

Was it purchased from a reputable source, and has a CE mark (& wot Pete said) and not the Chinese one.

Most modern domestic heaters are class II equipment that does not require an earth.
CLASS_II.JPG
The heater is constructed so that there would have to be a double fault for the external parts to become live.

The heater ought to still have a cutout however the cutout is probably inaccessible inside the equipment, if you can see into the heater (when off) and see the element the cut out should be a little way below the element but it may not be very obvious.

i think OP means there is a switch on the base that cuts out if the heater is not firmly set on the floor. i.e. a knock over cut out, as opposed to a thermal cutout.

Thanks Pete & Richard, it does have the "square within a square" symbol on the base. Also I noticed the thermal cut-out when I had the cover off to rewire, & Scouse is correct, I was referring to the safety cut-out that would usually be on the base. Still find that omission as rather odd. Purchased from B&Q & it has the CE mark.
Quite a nice compact heater. If frost/snow is forecast, I suspend it from a hook that I've fitted in the overhead storage shelf in the car to de-ice the screen & is switched on ½hr prior to wanting to go out. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete & Richard, it does have the "square within a square" symbol on the base. Also I noticed the thermal cut-out when I had the cover off to rewire, & Scouse is correct, I was referring to the safety cut-out that would usually be on the base. Still find that omission as rather odd. Purchased from B&Q & it has the CE mark.
Quite a nice compact heater. If frost/snow is forecast, I suspend it from a hook that I've fitted in the overhead storage shelf in the car to de-ice the screen & is switched on ½hr prior to wanting to go out. Works a treat.
The symbol indicates it's a double insulated appliance.

Reply to Wot! no earth? Hmmm! had to add this bit to pass the title rules? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net